Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound deadening cowl intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre I6
Default sound deadening cowl intake

Got the spectre installed feels a little ballsier not going back but would like to hear from those of you who have a cowl intake how you've sound deadened the sucking noise with pics possibly.
I love the throttle noise but I have a pretty constant and annoying suck noise coming from the passenger side and to say the least my gf ain't happy about it lol

Thanks yall
Old 08-24-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'm curious on this too. I want to install the spectre intake to free up space under the hood!

There was a guy on another forum that mentioned he 'bought a silicon elbow, and used it (inside the cowl) to point the intake away from the heater box intake'
Said it helped with the noise but never posted any pics so I can't really visualize exactly what he did...
Old 08-24-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jbh97009
I'm curious on this too. I want to install the spectre intake to free up space under the hood!

There was a guy on another forum that mentioned he 'bought a silicon elbow, and used it (inside the cowl) to point the intake away from the heater box intake'
Said it helped with the noise but never posted any pics so I can't really visualize exactly what he did...
Well that does make sense to me...the elbow would make a difference cause it sucks right next to where the hvac suck hole is so they're like echoing off each other causing a cacophony of bad noise....otherwise I love the thing
I used adhesive foam insulation and put it all up in the cowl...helped some. A guy named wrapstar on here said he eliminated the noise almost back to stock but he won't tell me how lol
Old 08-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by 99XJake
Got the spectre installed feels a little ballsier not going back but would like to hear from those of you who have a cowl intake how you've sound deadened the sucking noise with pics possibly.
I love the throttle noise but I have a pretty constant and annoying suck noise coming from the passenger side and to say the least my gf ain't happy about it lol

Thanks yall
The sucking noise won't bug you after a few days with it. Try to make sure to smooth up all edges where the spectra attaches to the cowl.
Make the hole the same size or a little bigger then the spectra. Thats what I did to mine, and I can hardly hear it. But when I gas it wow what a noise.
ppl will ask me,"Whats that noise" I just say I dont know..lol
Don't forget to use only Sensor safe RTV so you don't mess up any sensors. Here is a vid of what mine sounds like.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

That's the trade off when you ditch the stock air box and corrugated hose that was designed to deaden the sound, not maximize flow.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On "Bleep'in Jeep's" You Tube site he has one on a cowl intake and if I'm correct he addresses the sound deadening issue on one of his builds. If not subscribed to him its a good place to watch for XJ builds and improvements, I receive emails when a new one is released.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
On "Bleep'in Jeep's" You Tube site he has one on a cowl intake and if I'm correct he addresses the sound deadening issue on one of his builds. If not subscribed to him its a good place to watch for XJ builds and improvements, I receive emails when a new one is released.
Hey thanks Fred I'll go check it out!

I just don't wanna spray up in there and have the jeep smell like crap forever