Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i have about $1000 to spend to lift it

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default so i have about $1000 to spend to lift it

So as the title says, I have about $1k to spend on lifting the cherokee, my question is what is the best i can do with that budget? I know its not much, but i barely even go anywhere i would benefit from having a lift, and i am not planning on going with big tires. it would honestly be basically for looks, but i want to at least make sure it is done right. i was thinking of just going with the 3 in kit from rustys (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html), or if you guys would say its worth it, going with the 3 in advanced kit which is about $300 more and includes fixed upper control arms, fixed lower control arms, adjustable front track bar, and extended length stainless steel brake hose (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...anced-kit.html). I would go with the 4.5 in, but i think at that point i would need an SYE and driveshaft, and that would put me over budget. plus this is my first 4x4 so i have no experience dealing with driveline angles and stuff that gets messed up when lifting.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I would go with the advanced kit with adjustable control arms if you can swing it. They'll be a better investment in the long run.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Check out Iron Rock lifts.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 AM

Sorry turbo, i know about that thread, but don't have time to wade through 2300 pages. Someone just delete this thread then, ill repost there and hope someone is helpful instead of just reprimands me again.

Last edited by eignub; 02-16-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Your sticking with 28 inch tires? Any of the three inch lifts would be fine as long as your rear leaf springs are still ok. I went with the Rough Country add a leaf kit for my first lift and it was fine. Your tires will start to look to small for the Cherokee as you lift it higher. Have fun with the project.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by eignub
Sorry turbo, i know about that thread, but don't have time to wade through 2300 pages. Someone just delete this thread then, ill repost there and hope someone is helpful instead of just reprimands me again.
That IS helpful. Look there and find the answer to your question, which has been asked thousands of times already. That is why the thread exists. Or.....try searching?

Also, if you're going to lift just for looks, sticking with a stock size tire at 3" probably won't achieve your goal. Unless having undersized tires is your goal.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That is one of the very best entry level lifts you can buy period. Most of what you pay for on entry kits are the leaf/coils and Rustys are excellent all American made ones and hold up very well. They are the only entry level kit that offers American made the others come from China, Mexico, South America as well as others on the Pacific rim.

I started with the Rustys 3" full spring package like the one you linked to and still using it today at 4 1/2" of lift with the leafs and 1 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, zero sag to date. Another nice thing about his kit is you have your choice of weights on the front coils, same price. This lift rides good but that is mostly accounted for by the leafs/coils.

The shocks with any of the kits are only the white body ones and better ones can be added later if desired. They work ok as all of them do but all are real cheapies.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

be aware you may need a sye & ds even at 3" lift, if 97 & up even more likely. but hack & tap is a cheaper way to go. a tc drop is a band aid not a real fix for vibes. at 3 " you could run a little bigger tire than stock, even if its just for looks. good luck w/ the jeep.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I just ordered the 3 inch one from rustys and I added the tcase drop. I'll get an sye when I go bigger and to long arms. But I'm just starting out with my first lift.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

A transfer drop kit will be all that is needed with a 3" lift. If you have the proper wheels 15x8" with 3 3/4" of BS stock CA's are all that is needed. Be aware that an Adj. Track Bar will be required to re-center the front differential. The stock driveshaft's will work fine with the 3" lift.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i agree with fred, 100% on this one.

if you choose to go a different route, do yourself a favor and stay away from rough country. you will not be satisfied after you throw money hand over fist into their cheap design.

best idea is to get your adjustable track bar and the best coils you can, stay away from add a leafs, i'd rather do a bastard pack temporarily.

once you get a quality height, you can address the control arms, extended brake lines, sway bar disco's, etc.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 AM

so you guys would recommend going with the advanced kit? I keep thinking of settling with the regular kit since most everything else is staying stock (wheels, tire size, etc) and spending the extra elsewhere, but it does seem like a lot of extra stuff gets included for the $300. if i later raised it another inch or so with spacers/shackles, would most of the included things still be useful? i know at that point an sye would almost surely be needed, thats why going higher is a big IF.

whoa, i also just checked the price on shipping, and itll be a little over $200! does anyone know if rustys has some coupon codes or anything to help out a bit?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Seasoned Member

I recently put a Zone 3" full leaf kit with upgraded nitro shocks from www.rockridge4wd.com. I called and talked to a guy there and got the upgraded shocks and shipping for free. It ended up being exactly $510 for the lift. I plan on upgraded the LCA'S to adjustable in the near future but so far it has worked pretty well. I have that with 31's.

I also purchased a IRO double shear track bar for about 190 with shipping.

Name:  IMAG0266_zpsa31901d1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  73.7 KB

Last edited by awork; 02-18-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by eignub
so you guys would recommend going with the advanced kit? I keep thinking of settling with the regular kit since most everything else is staying stock (wheels, tire size, etc) and spending the extra elsewhere, but it does seem like a lot of extra stuff gets included for the $300. if i later raised it another inch or so with spacers/shackles, would most of the included things still be useful? i know at that point an sye would almost surely be needed, thats why going higher is a big IF.

whoa, i also just checked the price on shipping, and itll be a little over $200! does anyone know if rustys has some coupon codes or anything to help out a bit?

His shipping isn't cheap but the weight is quite heavy and there are 2 or 3 different box's as I remember. Most of the time I have found cheaper kits have a lot of mark up on them so you can afford free shipping. I have ran a side home business for the last 11 yrs. and offer free shipping also on most items. Let me tell you there is nothing free in this world you are paying for it one way or another. In this case higher quality springs vs. the imported ones.

JMHO its your money and what ever you want in the end is what counts.

Quick Reply: so i have about $1000 to spend to lift it