Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So confused about Jeep suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default So confused about Jeep suspension

Okay so let me start by saying that I consider myself to be a great DIY mechanic. However, I'm mostly familiar with sport bikes and BMWs.

Being that this is my first Jeep I've ever owned (and I love it by the way!) I am so confused when I see all the talk on here. I read things about bastard packs, bump stops, pitman arms, long arms, angles of drivelines, and so many other things that I don't even get.

I mean if I wanted to raise or lower my old BMW M3 it was as simple as getting new shocks and springs (or coilovers) and calling it a day. On these Jeeps it seems like there's a million ways to go about lifting it.

About the only things I do understand is that these Jeeps have solid axles (obviously) and I also understand the need for a SYE when lifting the vehicle substantially as well.

I guess my question is this... Is there any sort of resource I can use to learn more about this stuff? I mean I'm trying to follow along with a lot of the discussions here but I'm sitting here thinking to myself "wtf is a trackbar?" (among other things).

I'd like to figure out all the components of a Jeep suspension / axle system all the lingo that goes along with it. Clearly it's a lot different than owning a BMW or a sport bike.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: huge

Google Search " XJ Suspension "

Read it all.

See you in a month.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jeeper kyle
Google Search " XJ Suspension "

Read it all.

See you in a month.
When you google those terms almost every result is just a lift kit from rand aftermarket companies. I did find one informative result here... http://liftyourxj.com

Does that seem like a good place to start?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Member

For real just start reading, and a track bar centers the front axle under the vehicle from side to side. Jeep suspension is one of the easiest setups out there, besides leafs up front. Oh and those sway bars you had on your Beamer, take those out of your jeep, these things ride rough but go anywhere.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jamorrowxj
For real just start reading, and a track bar centers the front axle under the vehicle from side to side. Jeep suspension is one of the easiest setups out there, besides leafs up front. Oh and those sway bars you had on your Beamer, take those out of your jeep, these things ride rough but go anywhere.
I figured the suspension can't be as advanced as a BMW, it's just all different to me in every way and the terminology is also new.

Taking the sway bars out is good while off-roading but probably not a good idea for a daily driver I would assume? Sounds like I may just want sway bar disconnects.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I found a VERY good one!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fro...-101-a-157714/
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by PumpinIron
When you google those terms almost every result is just a lift kit from rand aftermarket companies. I did find one informative result here... http://liftyourxj.com

Does that seem like a good place to start?
Yeah, that's a decent little article.

Eric Zappe has also put out a lot of basic info.

Here's his builder's guide.

High-Performance Jeep Cherokee Xj Builder's Guide 1984-2001: Eric Zappe: 9781613250655: Amazon.com: Books High-Performance Jeep Cherokee Xj Builder's Guide 1984-2001: Eric Zappe: 9781613250655: Amazon.com: Books

Here's his website:

http://www.ericsxj.com/

Lots of good stuff in there.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Here's another helpful photo:

Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll check out that book, seems like its worth having since I plan on having the Jeep for a long time to come.

After reading what I've read in the past 10 minutes I think this suspension is a lot easier than I though, I think it was just the names of things that were confusing me because there's no 'pitmam arm' or 'trackbar' on a BMW! It's starting to make sense now.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 PM

I'll check out that book, seems like its worth having since I plan on having the Jeep for a long time to come.

After reading what I've read in the past 10 minutes I think this suspension is a lot easier than I though, I think it was just the names of things that were confusing me because there's no 'pitmam arm' or 'trackbar' on a BMW! It's starting to make sense now.
They're simple. They can be particular to get set up correctly but there's nothing to it, really.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Member

I think it was confusing because I see there's several different ways to achieve the same result. On most other cars you would throw on some coilovers, sway bars, stress bars, some nice wheels and tires and then all of a sudden you've got a decent handling car.

With these things it's entirely different because it's not so much handling people are after but off-road capabilities.

From the looks of things it sure seems like working on a Jeep axle / suspension is worlds easier than working on a BMW or something similar.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 PM

I think it was confusing because I see there's several different ways to achieve the same result. On most other cars you would throw on some coilovers, sway bars, stress bars, some nice wheels and tires and then all of a sudden you've got a decent handling car.

With these things it's entirely different because it's not so much handling people are after but off-road capabilities.

From the looks of things it sure seems like working on a Jeep axle / suspension is worlds easier than working on a BMW or something similar.
Yup. Pretty much dead on.

The handling part comes in when you attempt to have it handle well on the road as well as perform well offroad.

It's a balance.

I have 2 Jeeps. One built for the hard trails (It doesn't handle that great on the road but it's manageable) and one built to handle well on the road and do moderate trails offroad.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: straight 6 (4.0L)

I figured the suspension can't be as advanced as a BMW, it's just all different to me in every way and the terminology is also new.

Taking the sway bars out is good while off-roading but probably not a good idea for a daily driver I would assume? Sounds like I may just want sway bar disconnects.
The rear sway bar is useless and most lift kits don't come with extensions or discos for it, even if it is ur DD removing the rear sway bar would have next to no effect
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: straight 6 (4.0L)

P.S. I can't see what pic lowrange2 posted, but here's a good one that helped me a lot in the beginning

Pic loaded, looks like he beat me too it lol
Attached Thumbnails So confused about Jeep suspension-image-3119255897.jpg  

Last edited by jeeper jason; 10-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM

x2... I'm 31 I've had 17 (not a typo) cars... ALL of them modified and all of them lowered or altered to handle or go faster. My current car is a 370z. After buying it I did my norm and lowered it on H&Rs, SPC camber arms all around, traction arms, etc... easy peasy. I've done motor swaps, transmission swaps, rebuilds, you name it so I consider myself capable but in my older age (ie make more money than I used to) I do tend to pay others to do work unless it's a big ticket item. The lift.. I would like to do myself, I think..

I bought my XJ last year and drove it stock all winter except for putting on some black steel wheels and some used wrangler 235/75 tires. Now I want to raise it 3-4" and buy new 31s (need new tires) anyway and the suspension, primarily the shocks, need replaced anyhow...

Like you said, soooo many ways to get the same result. I'm completely lost. I also read different heights and results from the exact same kits and I hear one kit is junk and rides awful and then another person will say its awesome and ride perfect.

I have literally NO idea what to purchase. I want a nice new kit to bolt on. I want it to be capable on road and off (no major climbing off, just basic trails, etc)

I'm just lost... I understand the fundamentals of the lift and the components involved but my head is about to explode.

Quick Reply: So confused about Jeep suspension