Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortening a front Cherokee Drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Shortening a front Cherokee Drive shaft

I recently put on a Zone 3" Lift that leveled out to be 3.75 with my spacer. I currently have terrible drive line vibes and are trying to eliminate them. To put a bandaid over this mess I put in a 1" T-case drop to hold me over until I can install my SYE. The only thing stopping me from doing that is that I have to drive the jeep every single morning to work at 7. I can get the SYE done over one of the days during the weekend but I cannot drive my jeep because the drive shaft I have is to long (Front drive shaft out of a 99 XJ). I was wondering since I can not install the SYE and get the measurements during the week is there anyone who might know of a way to get them around it from the past? I plan on lifting my jeep up to 4.5" of lift so I'd like the drive shaft to be able to work at that point as well under full flex. If anyone happens to have there drive shaft measurements from shortening a front XJ drive shaft from the past it'd be a giant help....I need to get this DS in and cut as soon as possible because I will be making a 700 mile round trip here in three weeks. If anyone happens to know any help is greatly appreciated right now. Thanks in advance...
Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Just leave the rear shaft out and drive around in front wheel drive...?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

How long is too long?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

What kind and brand of SYE are you going to use because that will make a difference?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Rugged Ridge SYE system. I didn't want to drive around with FWD with my 231 and 31's. I really do not want to drive around with my T Case binding up on me all the time. I'm trying to avoid this the best I can
Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

What does the 231 and 31s have to do with it?

You won't hurt anything.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
What does the 231 and 31s have to do with it?

You won't hurt anything.
I've been told by multiple people from the forum that you do not want to drive a 231 with just a front drive shaft Due to some binding issues. I've never done it so I would not know how it'd work out. I wouldnt want to damage my T case in any way, I dont have the money to just throw into it more then I have.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

I'm on 5.5" of lift and using factory length front drive shaft with AA SYE.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
I've been told by multiple people from the forum that you do not want to drive a 231 with just a front drive shaft Due to some binding issues. I've never done it so I would not know how it'd work out. I wouldnt want to damage my T case in any way, I dont have the money to just throw into it more then I have.
Well, I'm not the engineer who designed the 231, so I coul be wrong. But I've seen it done in situations where it was needed and there was no issue.

I guess dont do it then.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you know the shaft will be too long? With an auto tranny and dana 44 or 8.25 rear an auto front shaft is perfect. Im assuming you have a 5 speed according to your sig, and the most common 8.25 rear. The ax15 5 speed is about an inch shorter than the automatic aw4 resulting in a longer driveshaft needed in the rear.

But if for whatever reason you really do need a shorter shaft to swap in with your sye, a 5 speed front shaft is about an inch shorter.

And driving around in fwd for an extended period of time is in fact bad for your tcase and over time will prematurely stretch your chain. Id do it if i absolutely had to, but thats about it. Not to mention the jeep handles differently in fwd, and takes some getting used to.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Well, I'm not the engineer who designed the 231, so I coul be wrong. But I've seen it done in situations where it was needed and there was no issue.

I guess dont do it then.
Is there a reason for the attitude?

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
How do you know the shaft will be too long? With an auto tranny and dana 44 or 8.25 rear an auto front shaft is perfect. Im assuming you have a 5 speed according to your sig, and the most common 8.25 rear. The ax15 5 speed is about an inch shorter than the automatic aw4 resulting in a longer driveshaft needed in the rear.

But if for whatever reason you really do need a shorter shaft to swap in with your sye, a 5 speed front shaft is about an inch shorter.

And driving around in fwd for an extended period of time is in fact bad for your tcase and over time will prematurely stretch your chain. Id do it if i absolutely had to, but thats about it. Not to mention the jeep handles differently in fwd, and takes some getting used to.
Thank you so much. That is the information I was looking for, Currently the jeep is sitting around 3 1/2 in the rear and 3 3/4" in the front and I just wanted to be sure the DS wouldnt be to long and bottom out and put the shock force of a hard jounce or bump into the t case or rear axle. I guess I'll just have to put the SYE in and go from there. Yes the jeep is a 5-Speed, If I knew a 5-speed front ds was shorter I would've picked up that one but I'll give this one a shot and see how it goes. Thanks again for the info on this, I really wasnt sure what direction to go with it. Its much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Im willing to bet that you are going to need a longer shaft, or you will be right at the limit of the auto shaft. When the suspension compresses the axle also moves backwards resulting in the driveshaft barely slipping, it may go one way or another a very small amount depending on how your suspension is setup.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
Im willing to bet that you are going to need a longer shaft, or you will be right at the limit of the auto shaft. When the suspension compresses the axle also moves backwards resulting in the driveshaft barely slipping, it may go one way or another a very small amount depending on how your suspension is setup.
A longer one? I've only herd of people shortening Auto front cherokee Shafts for lifts, and I've only got a 3.5".
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Is there a reason for the attitude?
Attitude? Tone must not convey well via text on a comuter screen.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

A longer one? I've only herd of people shortening Auto front cherokee Shafts for lifts, and I've only got a 3.5".
Ive never heard of that. Maybe if you have a longer drivetrain or rear axle with a significantly longer pinion. But ya don't. The most common recipe is an auto front shaft going into the rear of an auto xj equipped with a hd sye and 8.25 or dana44 rear. And your transmission is about an inch shorter than the aw4. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Shortening a front Cherokee Drive shaft