Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To shock tower or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default To shock tower or not?

OK so I posted a shock question about my planned three link I am doing.My research has had me looking at different shock combos and shock set ups. Seems a lot of guys are bottoming out their shocks and going with towers. I look at these posts and wonder why so much work when just measure and order proper Length shocks.... or am I missing something? Is there a point when building shock towers are a must? What is that point? I know this sounds like a newbie question but I have been running my current setup for a few years now and only issue I have had is stock upper control arms and pulling the top threads off my front shocks which I fixed with eye to eye shocks
Old 03-14-2017, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be hitting the bump stop before you bottom out a shock.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I am a newb, wondering the same thing as OP. I am in process of measuring for shocks. My understanding is folks go to shock towers to get additional travel out of their shocks.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Straight up answer; I did mine for two reasons, shock efficiency and it looks cool. The rear articulation is fairly limited so are they needed, I don't think so. Now if you go with a linked rear suspension then sure. I'll bet I'm about to take some heat for that statement.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

The main reason for them would be a rear application where the stock shocks mount at and angle and nearer the center of the axle than up front. The stock brackets catch on obstacles offroad and if you raise them then you have to run a pretty short shock. So to get around this you mount them on top of or next to the leafs and have the shocks go through the body to accommodate for a longer shock. A shock is most effective the closer it is to the wheel and the closer it is to perpendicular with the axle it is working to dampen motion of.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Ty for the replies. I am going 3 link up front. I have 4 1/2" springs with 2" spacers. I know the shocks I am running now won't cut it. All in all what I have now works well, mid arm lowers but stock uppers, the uppers keep folding on me so I decided to go with the three link.

So that being said if I go with the fox 2.0 air shocks then I should go with hoops as well.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

I put front shocks on mine that are meant for a 5-6" lift yet I am only at 3.5". To run the shocks in the stock location, I would need about a 3" bump stop. But a 3" bump stop is too much. It leaves about a 2" gap between the fender and tire at full bump. So to compensate, I am doing a 2" bump stop and moving the top shock mount up 1". That leaves me with enough room to turn the wheels at full bump without rubbing. Longer shocks = more travel. Long story short, going with the shocks meant for the 5-6" lift compared to the ones that would work in the stock location, I gained about 3" extra travel.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM

I would really like to see how you are going to raise the front shock upper mounting point. Or how anyone else has done that. I put a little thought into that a while ago and thought it was just to much trouble. Pics please.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by Rockhead
I would really like to see how you are going to raise the front shock upper mounting point. Or how anyone else has done that. I put a little thought into that a while ago and thought it was just to much trouble. Pics please.
It is going to be an easy process. Where the shock mounts now, cut a 2.5" diameter hole. Get some 2.5" diameter tubing and cut it to the length you want to raise the mount. Weld it to the body inside and out (the body has a pinch seam right there so there are 2 layers of metal). Cap the top of the tube off and drill a factory size hole in the center. Done. If I am home this weekend, I will try to get it done and post pictures.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM

That would be great. Thanks. Have you done this before or seen it done?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rockhead

isn't that the rear?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 PM

Yes. Those are pics from putting in the rear shock towers. Post #4. Something like that in the front is intriguing; especially with a long arm suspension.