Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock and sway bar end link question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shock and sway bar end link question.

I have the ZONE 3" full leaf kit i am planning to install on my sons XJ this Spring.

I just realized my rear shackles are not stock length (3.25") and actually measure 4.5" Center to center. So that will turn my rear lift to 4.5 of lift. Does anyine know if the Zone shocks (Hydro) that come in the 3" kit ok for up to 4.5 inches of lift? I am going to use BPE for the rear so I feel this should actually shorten the travel distance back down by about 1.5 inches anyways. But what about the front? I plan to buy 1.25 or 1.5 inch coil spacers for the front to bring it up even with the rear - will my shock length be OK?

Also I had purchased warrior 3" front sway bar end links. Will these work on 4.5". If not should I consider a relocation bracket to move the sway bar down and forward 1.5 inches? Pretty sure i could fbricate this myself. What is the purpose of the moving the bar forward? Am I overthinking this?

Anything else I should consider with this change (going 3" to 4.5") I already have the TCD in case I need that. The tires will be 31 10.5 and it will primarily be DD with light trail beach or snow.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by TuffMdr; 02-05-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Clarify type
Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

You will need to add a BPE to the front shocks as well.
Have you purchased an adjustable trackbar yet? If not, you need one even for 3".

For 4.5" you need adjustable upper and lower control arms, actually long arms are more adequate for such a lift height.

The TCD at this point will most likely not be enough, leave the budget open for a slip yoke eliminator and new rear driveshaft.

I'd wait on the sway bar link situation until it's lifted and see if it's long enough.
The point of moving it forward is to get the ends away from the coil springs.

Last edited by Constantine; 02-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Sorry forgot to mention that I have a rustys adjustable track bar. I also have a pair of Zone fixed lower controls that I did not use on my TJ when I lifted it - they are about 1.25 longer than stock. Wasn't planning on doing anything to the UCA except maybe new bushings at some point. Hoping the TCD will be sufficient. I thought about the bpe on the front to compensate for the extra 1.5 of lift. Was just hoping the shocks were ok either way. Thinking maybe the better solution to all of this might be to find a pair and just put stock shackles back on.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Staying at 3" with short arms will give a better overall result. It also lessens the likelyhood of needing a SYE.

1.25" longer LCA'S are really too long, you're only needing about 0.25 to 0.5" of extra length.

I forgot about the brake lines.
You will atleast need to straighten the front hardlines for more length and need to replace the rear with a longer one.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For the sway bar consider a sway bar disconnect instead, the Rustys one is adj. for any lift height.

At 4 1/2"'s of lift you will need an SYE & driveshaft and adj. u/l control arms to set it up correctly. I used a 3" basic lift for my 4 1/2" lift using a 1 1/2" Boomerang Shackle and ACOS adj. spacers for the coils. You will need new brake lines, shocks and other misc. parts for that lift.

With only a 31" tire the stock gear will work but needs a new speedometer gear to read correctly. It will lug the engine and trans a bit but not real bad unless a lot of mountain use. Tire size is one of those things that seem to grow larger as time goes by, just a fact it from those posting here. I started with a 31 then a 33 and now 35's.

The small Rustys track bar I'm not crazy about, but his Adj HD Dbl. Shear track bar one is fine and what I run.