Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shackle relocation kit for existing 3" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shackle relocation kit for existing 3" Lift

I currently have a 3" lift and the ride is horrendous. Heard that installing a shackle relocation kit will smooth out the ride but will also add 1 to 1.5" of lift which I don't want. Anyone have any experience with these relocation kits? Any other methods to get the xj to ride better?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I can't remember who, but somebody makes a "no lift" shackle relocator.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 AM

Year: 1996 Heep XJ Country

Originally Posted by macgeng
I currently have a 3" lift and the ride is horrendous. Heard that installing a shackle relocation kit will smooth out the ride but will also add 1 to 1.5" of lift which I don't want. Anyone have any experience with these relocation kits? Any other methods to get the xj to ride better?
I have the RC relocation kit on my XJ with the RC Shackles.
Rides like a car.
But, it does lift the rear around 1-1.5" if using the stock shackles.
I have the JKS ACOS on the front. Easy to adjust both front and rear heights that way.

Just add a 1" spacer to the front coils and go with the stock shackles and RC relocation kit in the rear. You can adjust the rear height and shackle angle and your ride will drastically improve!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

Check these guys out for either a no lift shackle relocation or a small lift relocation kit.

http://hdoffroadengineering.myshopif...relocation-kit
Old 11-04-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Force
I have the RC relocation kit on my XJ with the RC Shackles.
Rides like a car.
But, it does lift the rear around 1-1.5" if using the stock shackles.
I have the JKS ACOS on the front. Easy to adjust both front and rear heights that way.

Just add a 1" spacer to the front coils and go with the stock shackles and RC relocation kit in the rear. You can adjust the rear height and shackle angle and your ride will drastically improve!
Are there any aftermarket shackles that won't cause a lift? If not then I guess I'll just add 1" spacer to the front and have 4-4.5" lift all around.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

I have HD's no lift relocation brackets, with those, JKS shackles, and close to 45 degree shackle angle, I only got about 3/4" lift. Only thing about the no lift relocation brackets, it's a ***** to cut out the stock shackle box without a plasma cutter.

BTW, the relocation brackets will definitely get rid of the "jarring" feeling over bumps and dips, but don't expect it to be a crazy drastic change. Yes, it feels better, but XJ's are still super light in the rear, so they only do so much. They are meant more for flex as you'll get more down travel in the rear.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 11-04-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM

I'm thinking about just replacing the 3" leaf springs and go with a Rancho 1.5" leaf springs so I can get my 3" height with the relo kit. Good idea?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

I'm thinking about just replacing the 3" leaf springs and go with a Rancho 1.5" leaf springs so I can get my 3" height with the relo kit. Good idea?
What brand lift and is your shackle angle good now?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
What brand lift and is your shackle angle good now?
3" Zone Full Leaf. I have 6-degree shims as well which adds another .5" to the 3". Shackle angle looks to be straight down 90 degrees. Here is a pic

Last edited by macgeng; 11-04-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you get no lift shackle relocators and a 1" shackles since the angle will be fixed you won't actually gain any noticeable lift because the shackle will be at a 45° angle. Same goes for stock shackle with bolt in brackets. How ever the stock shackle might actually bottom out on the brackets but you can trim to fix that. Either way I'd definitely go hd offroad over rough country, support small business and USA made, also they make a great product, I have the bolt in brackets and 1.5" Rubicon express boomerang shackles, I gained probably 1.5" and it rides pretty good, I'm sure if u got some nice leafs it would be even better since I just have an AAL now.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 PM

3" Zone Full Leaf. I have 6-degree shims as well which adds another .5" to the 3". Shackle angle looks to be straight down 90 degrees. Here is a pic
You might also be able to lose the shims after you install relocators since the kinda kick the pinion up a little
Old 11-06-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
You might also be able to lose the shims after you install relocators since the kinda kick the pinion up a little
Don't think I want to go the no-lift shackle relo route. Too much cutting involved and messing with floor board bolts. I might as well embrace the extra 1.5" lift and get spacers for the front to match the extra lift.

Do you know how many degree the relocators will kick the pinion up by?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Not much, at least it wasn't in my case.

Yes the cutting for the no lift ones is a pain, but I'm pretty sure you have to drill through the floor with both versions.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 AM

Don't think I want to go the no-lift shackle relo route. Too much cutting involved and messing with floor board bolts. I might as well embrace the extra 1.5" lift and get spacers for the front to match the extra lift.

Do you know how many degree the relocators will kick the pinion up by?
Couldn't give you an exact measurement now but my pinion is pointed almost perfectly at the t case w/out any shims and I have no vibes.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Not much, at least it wasn't in my case.

Yes the cutting for the no lift ones is a pain, but I'm pretty sure you have to drill through the floor with both versions.
It depends on the length of the shackle your using too, also when I installed my relocation brackets no drilling was required, I think the older version required drilling .