Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shackle bolt replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Shackle bolt replacement advice

My son and I are putting his lift on a 2000 XJ. The SOB rear leaf spring removal was a PITA! I cannot get one of the shackle bolts out......the one that pins the shackle to the leaf spring. To save my sanity and stress, I was hoping I could just hit the hardware store instead of fighting with this darn thing.

Should I fight to get it out........go buy a new bolt at a Jeep dealer......or is it possible to get a replacement at the hardware store? If I can get one at the hardware store, what size and thread? I assume a Grade 8 would be best?

If I need an OEM bolt, I can do that, but will have to wait until Monday now. I would love to get this done tomorrow though.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Maybe this will help.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

You didn't get all new hardware with the lift kit? Even the Rustys entry level kits come with new hardware in them. You did soak all nuts/bolts with PB Blaster for several days before starting didn't you, all fasteners need to be?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:44 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

Thanks for the size references.....it helped, but no luck on a Sunday with anyone open that had them. No auto part store or even ACE has something of the size needed. Luckily I found a 4x4 shop open today that had one. Rear end is complete and began the front.

Nope, no new bolts with this kit. I am going to make that recommendation to Zone. Of the 6 main bolts for the rear leaf springs, I had to get three new ones anyway since I had to cut two to get them out and the third was absolutely ceased in the sleeve at one shackle. Actually, the front bolts on both sides were absolutely frozen up inside the sleeves and bushings. I was able to get them loose enough from the frame nut, but the sleeve prevented me from being able to extract the bolt.

Anyway, the rear end is done now and I am really stoked about how it is looking. I only home the front end isn't as big of a PITA as the rear was.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Yes that happens most of the time same for the rear shocks, glad to hear you finished it up.