Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same Size Spare or "Not"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Same Size Spare or "Not"

So in the quest of the build as a stock looking very capable XJ (sleeper ) I decided to find a stock 9011 snowflake rim for the /spare tire, and I also went down to a 205/70/15 in size for it instead of the 235/75/15.

Reasoning for the smaller spare is that I am guilty of not rotating my spare in to the mix when I rotate the tires, I wanted to save some weight off the rear, it helped keep my license plate more visible,cheaper, and also since Im running a selectable it operates like an open diff when not engaged so the diameter being the same as with a full locker or posi has to be to prevent binding.

Also if need I can always just air down the opposite side by 1.29" of an inch and be the same diameter if in an emergency situation that I still need to be locked.

205 70 15 26.30 diameter
235 75 15 28.88 diameter

so 28.88 - 26.30 = 2.58 overall height / 2 = 1.29" height difference

Here is a few pics

The old spare under the tire cover

It works for me...

Last edited by Jrozar; 10-30-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds feasible as long as you stay close like you did.

If you ever plan to get deep into the wild or go bigger, you will want to get a same size spare. When I go to 35s I will be trying to figure out these same problems.

May mount it in the Jeep and use a roof rack for gear, but then it gets in the way of sleeping space....hmmmm. Decisions, decisions....lol
Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Banned

I always go for my plug kit first...then the spare.

For a 35" verse 33" = 1 inch rolling diameter (easily corrected by airing down if you have a traction device you are worried about) open diffs dont even worry about it...

Then consider the 33x10.50 verse the 12.50 for addition weight and size savings.

Or if you are running one locker just switch the smaller spare to the open axle.

For my YJ I run 33x12.5 but for the spare went with a 33x10.5 but in the future I would consider a 31x10.5 to save more weight.

Originally Posted by *The Dude*
Sounds feasible as long as you stay close like you did.

If you ever plan to get deep into the wild or go bigger, you will want to get a same size spare. When I go to 35s I will be trying to figure out these same problems.

May mount it in the Jeep and use a roof rack for gear, but then it gets in the way of sleeping space....hmmmm. Decisions, decisions....lol
Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Wait...your running a smaller spare because of weight, visibility, cost, and stock appearance? Sounds to me like you're trying to offset a bad idea in the form of the tire carrier, which adds weight, increases cost, reduces visibility, and looks far from stock. Can't a full size spare fit in the stock location? Better weight distribution, cost is free, looks stock, and...it's a full size spare.

What am I missing here?

Last edited by jay_sco; 10-30-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah you can run a full size spare inside tell about a 30 or 31 inch.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Yes double compounded bad idea just use the same size tire, lose the rear bumper for a stock one and mount it inside save a 75-100#.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

Hopefully this will help with your question- and with all fun...

Its friday......

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Wait...your running a smaller spare because of weight, visibility, cost, and stock appearance? Sounds to me like you're trying to offset a bad idea in the form of the tire carrier, which adds weight, increases cost, reduces visibility, and looks far from stock. Can't a full size spare fit in the stock location? Better weight distribution, cost is free, looks stock, and...it's a full size spare.
What am I missing here?
1. Interior cargo room was the main reason to move the spare out, it was on the roof rack (so you made me think... I should have also added to reduce wind noise, reduce air to surface friction to increase MPG, prevent lower back strains from pulling it off the roof rack, have better clearance from low hanging branches and brushes at the automated car wash) now with the added room I can haul the aunt or mother in law easier than on the roof rack...without drawing attention...

Oh and I may need room in the back.. I usually drive a Ford

2. yes it is lighter with the smaller tire and aluminum rim verse larger tire and steel rim but I also had some bad mexican food today at lunch so I may be lighter now too...

3. Is the visibility improved with the 26 verse the 29... yes very noticeable from the inside. But can believe that they still make Vans with no rear windows...I may have to get a back up camera for the lower left corner of my rear window....There goes the budget...Thanks

4. Cost...yes it is cheaper (not that cost is a concern of mine I have had people ask why ARB's, Yukon axles and stock rims with 235's answer: because I like it and its mine),

but cost could be a concern with many people. The XJ reminds me of the KLR of motorcycles.

5. Stock appearance, I would say it has a more stock appearance with the Detours rear bumper with the factory skin over it and factory matching rim than a rock crawling bumper and non-factory corner cladding. Was an OEM exterior tire carrier an option for an XJ?

How many vehicles have came from the factory with exterior mounted spares? (Honda Passport, Isuzu Rodeo, Geo Tracker, S10 Blazer the list of trail capable vehicles goes on and on...)

wait is this....no way a VW Golf...

And to think Nash didnt realize he had enough truck space in the car he designed...and he was blocking visibility....

6. Weight distribution....wait a second I drive solo in my XJ and weigh 215lbs I had better place a sand bag in the passenger side to offset the potential of a rollover. I did have a flight engineer do a load weight distribution anaylisis for me to enure it met FAA requirements

I did check it on a honda Fit but not on the XJ....but should this be done with or without driver...

what calculations should I use and where should the corelation be from to rear, side to side? I just cant figure that out...so should I do it with a forklift calcualation of weight the front or rear based upon traction, turns, etc....Im so confused...

Does the average Jeep owner or vehcile owner look at this set up and say that isnt factory?

And to think the Subaru is driven off-road more than a Grand Cherokee -

With the Outback, specifically, similar 2013 J.D. Power data shows that the tall wagon has the highest use on unpaved roads compared to its entire competitive set. Some 34.7 percent of Outbacks are taken off paved roads, compared to its next-closest competitor, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, at a distant 21.1 percent.

she would know its not a a factory tire carrier........

As far as interior you can also lower in the air pressure and ratchet strap the tire diameter and fit a larger one and in time of need use your air to fill it to the desired pressure.

What are you missing here? I guess nothing thats why Im sure none of us modify our jeeps....if we do they should all be the same, Henry Ford was in the right right state of mind with the Model A..

Last edited by Jrozar; 10-30-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Now I'm really lost.
Youoriginally brought up weight, visibility, cost, and factory appearance. I reiterated them all and how the spare carrier is counter-productive to all of those.
This reply of yours hints of...sarcasm? Which is cool, I have no problem with that. It's your rig, do as you see fit with it. 205/70? Sounds legit.

Last edited by jay_sco; 10-30-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

Sarcasm... Never, it's my sense of humor....it's part of being on forums surrounded by experts and keyboard mechanics (not saying you are)

Funny how we focus in on what we want to read

My original post-

i didn't specifically say I wanted to lighten the vehicle (if that were the case it wouldn't have frame stiffeners, reinforced axle tubes, 3/4 underneath with skids, roof rack, side and rear armor etc...

Putting a spare in the cargo area wasn't a question or consideration... I'm sure you know what that detours cost me it met the direction I wanted to go....id rather have the interior cargo and roof rack room.

Visibility as I stated was to see my license plate (as seen in the pictures) not to gain a clearer rear window view but the size change to a 205 did help more than you would think also with it being offset.

A 205/70 is cheaper than a 235/75... I needed a new rear spare look at the considering the old 235 spare in the pic on the rusted steel rim had dry rot and was purchased from the local used tire that only sells used tire

Can You run a different size spare with an open carrier or selectable locker for emergency use and will it work. Yes...

Does the detours tire carrier with the factory skin and a 9011 factory rim look more stock than the average rock crawler rear bumper... Yes... So To the untrained eye does it maintain a somewhat stock appearance.

The offset weight distribution of a spare tire having an effect on the vehicles overall performance wasn't a concern or even a question but as we know many manufactures have that design and it meets the national safety standards. Safety is a concern another reason I opted with sway bar disconnects instead of running with disconnected full time.

And you would be correct it is the way I built it, the concept meets what I wanted for this build, it's not my only Jeep my frame up built stroked yj with a high pinion 9 and full cage meets my other needs.

205/70 spare yep legit bigger than a factory spare and it's a backup when the plug kit doesn't work

Have I built a sleeper xj that is very capable...I would think so...I'm sure you could explain the gain of a tummy tuck with a clocked transfer case and 29's center ground clearance compared to a non clocked transfer case xj. Then the advantage of dual arb lockers with 29's compared to open diff 33" xj (29 to 33 2" difference in tire height btw)

SEMA next week... Can't wait to see the Jeeps...

It's been a long week.

Btw like your build...I'm in so cal now and then we should hook up for a lunch and if your ever In Vegas we can bounce ideas back and forth.

I may have a set of extended bump stops and some other things on the shelf in the garage for you. Keep up the work and keepi g the kids involved.

Last edited by Jrozar; 10-30-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Can you post a link to your spare tire carrier? I am older now and my off-roading days are over. Still does not mean I won't own a Jeep. Always toying with the idea of getting my full size spare out of the cargo area. But want to retain the stock look.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:10 AM
CF Veteran

Ralph try http://detoursusa.com/ Yeah a lot of old stuff use to have the spare on the outside.Today almost no one does because when you get rear ended it causes more damage.And back then they didn't crash test the rear of cars today they do.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Ralph try http://detoursusa.com/ Yeah a lot of old stuff use to have the spare on the outside.Today almost no one does because when you get rear ended it causes more damage.And back then they didn't crash test the rear of cars today they do.
Thanks for that. Have seen these but they appear to not make them at the moment. Thing is that Jrozar's carrier, while very similar to the Tailbone, looks just a little different. Was hoping it might be made by another manufacturer and still available. See where I painted the arrow.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2015, 05:25 AM
CF Veteran

his is detours but detours site is always slow for updates,I think he will still make them if you call him over the phone.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:30 AM
CF Veteran

his is detours but detours site is always slow for updates,I think he will still make them if you call him over the phone.
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 AM
Banned

he decideds to make you one, be patient and you will get an excellent quality product. If he agrees you pay up front and then wait. Mine took 7 months but I'm not complaining I would have waited a. year for it, it's top quality and keeps that stock look.

Quick Reply: Same Size Spare or "Not"