Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saggy rear after a 6.5 lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Saggy rear after a 6.5 lift

Hey I have a 98 xj that i recently purchased 2 months ago..the previous owner had a 6.5 lift installed (not sure of how long ago).

My problem is that the rear end is sagging (not as bad as the picture shows, because I cleaned out some cargo, but still about 1.5-2 inches lower than the front)

I also recently noticed that the front tires sit too far back (too close to the rear of the front fender wells)..do I need to change lower control arms or what?

Any help or suggestions on how to fix these problems will be greatly appreciated
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 AM

their is always getting bigger shackles, leaf spacer, leaf pack, and cheaper route hit a junk yard grab some leafs from a stiffer vehicle and throw them in. that's what I'm doing with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Any idea what brand kit was installed?

Sagging rear is obviously a spring issue, but there are a lot of spings out there so it's darn near impossible to pinpoint the problem without more info.

Common issues:
If the rear was lifted using an Add-A-Leaf (AAL) it's simply a matter of time before it sags.

If the springs are of low quality right out of the box, same thing. They'll start flattening out. A few years ago Rubicon Express had a major problem with a batch of leaf springs flattening out prematurely. I ended up with a set as did a few friends locally. Thank goodness for warranties.

Cheap lift kits from foreign lands often don't measure up (pun intended). Lack of quality control and inferior materials results in a **** poor product.

Overloading the rig. Too much weight in the rear will flatten out the leafs too. Especially a lower quality spring.

Your cure is:
To have the springs re-arched. This will cost as much as new leaf packs if you have it done properly.

Install a new Add-a-leaf. Not really a wise move since it will flatten out again in short order.

Replace the leaf springs with new ones. Pricey, but well worth it if you can afford it.

Bastard Packs can be made by combining the leaf springs from various vehicles to obtain a new pack that will be at the ride height you're after. In most cases you'll retain your main leaf and add to it. This will ensure your axle is properly located. Us ethe forum search feature for more info on this subject. Be advized that the ride quality from a Bastard Pack can be less than stellar though. My son's xj rode like a brick and we removed them shortly after installing them.

Regarding your front axle location, at your ride height short arms aren't going to be a lot of fun on or off the trail as far as ride quality is concerned. Moving the axle forward with adjustable control arms won't affect that at all. Although expensive (another relative term), you should consider making the jump to a Long Arm Suspension. I put a link to mine in your other thread already.

Oh snap...Almost forgot....

WELCOME TO CF!!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Any idea what brand kit was installed?

Sagging rear is obviously a spring issue, but there are a lot of spings out there so it's darn near impossible to pinpoint the problem without more info.

Common issues:
If the rear was lifted using an Add-A-Leaf (AAL) it's simply a matter of time before it sags.

If the springs are of low quality right out of the box, same thing. They'll start flattening out. A few years ago Rubicon Express had a major problem with a batch of leaf springs flattening out prematurely. I ended up with a set as did a few friends locally. Thank goodness for warranties.

Cheap lift kits from foreign lands often don't measure up (pun intended). Lack of quality control and inferior materials results in a **** poor product.

Overloading the rig. Too much weight in the rear will flatten out the leafs too. Especially a lower quality spring.

Your cure is:
To have the springs re-arched. This will cost as much as new leaf packs if you have it done properly.

Install a new Add-a-leaf. Not really a wise move since it will flatten out again in short order.

Replace the leaf springs with new ones. Pricey, but well worth it if you can afford it.

Bastard Packs can be made by combining the leaf springs from various vehicles to obtain a new pack that will be at the ride height you're after. In most cases you'll retain your main leaf and add to it. This will ensure your axle is properly located. Us ethe forum search feature for more info on this subject. Be advized that the ride quality from a Bastard Pack can be less than stellar though. My son's xj rode like a brick and we removed them shortly after installing them.

Regarding your front axle location, at your ride height short arms aren't going to be a lot of fun on or off the trail as far as ride quality is concerned. Moving the axle forward with adjustable control arms won't affect that at all. Although expensive (another relative term), you should consider making the jump to a Long Arm Suspension. I put a link to mine in your other thread already.

Oh snap...Almost forgot....

WELCOME TO CF!!
I really appreciate the suggestions..and the lift is a RC short arm 6.5, probably put on when the rig was pretty young, and I've heard some bad things concerning RC leafs.

I really do hate the way the rig rides on and off trail, just as you said, but as of right now, I don't have the money to get a long arm kit..But, instead of wasting money on buying a whole new set of leafs or having them serviced, I would like to save up until I can get a full 6.5 long arm kit.

For right now, since I will most likely be getting a long arm in the near future, would leaf axle blocks or larger shackles be an option to gain around 1.5 on the rear to prevent rubbing and to get rid of the unattractive sag?

Oh, and the RC leafs do have a "China" label on them, so I guess that's why they don't "measure up"

Thanks Again

Last edited by BlackBearXJ; 05-29-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lift blocks won't help, probably make it worse in short order. Shackles will give a little boost.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

I read you dont want to put the money into new leaf springs. Personally have been through this myself. Suck it up and get leaf packs. Anything else is just a temporary band aid. It's still going to ride like crap.
Don't overwhelm yourself w future goals. Address the issue at hand. You'll be far more pleased w your choice and ride quality. And most important, you won't be spending twice. That saves you money.
Check out FrankZ's website. He does in fact sell parts less than anyone I know.
He also has answered all my questions and I haven't even bought from yet.
His LA kit is the best for money too and it's not made in China.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/
That's the URL to his website
Old 05-29-2011, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by BlackBearXJ
... But, instead of wasting money on buying a whole new set of leafs or having them serviced, I would like to save up until I can get a full 6.5 long arm kit ...
You can still get the new leafs now & the rest of a LA kit later. Might cost a little more, but you take care of now, & work towards later. Or lower the front (not the best option).
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Default Thanks for the suggestions

I have decided that getting a new leaf pack will be my best bet for now..
$200 is not too bad for a new set of Made in USA 6.5 leaf packs (Made by Clayton)..

Thanks Again
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Better check that web site again ... Clayton springs are $239 each. Your purchase total would be $478. Anything over $250 & you qualify for free shipping.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

theses are 299 a pair i run them no issues what so ever ride much better than thr rc i threw in the trash...http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=LEAF
Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
theses are 299 a pair i run them no issues what so ever ride much better than thr rc i threw in the trash...http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=LEAF
Thanks for pointing out these Rusty's..299 is way cheaper than i expected a pair of decent 6.5's would cost me..

After a couple of weeks and paychecks I just may get these if nobody points out a better bang-for-the-buck leaf pair by then..