Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge Crossover Tie Rod Kit feedback needed/advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 Limited, Black
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V12 Dual Turbos
Post Rugged Ridge Crossover Tie Rod Kit feedback needed/advice

Well guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here on CF, but I've been doing some research lately. Before I go ahead and order a steering system, I wanted to refresh this two-sided discussion of the RR Crossover Tie Rod kit. It seems there was a lot of controversy in older posts on different forums on whether or not this kit was worth purchasing. There have been statements made not to drive over 35 MPH with it as well as a common dead spot found in steering due to the kit's design. However, there have been other arguments calling BS.

My stock tie rod is toast and I'm looking to upgrade. I have a 2" lift and for the next five years am not looking to go higher. I have 30" tires. I don't mind the idea of overkill reinforcement in my steering, yet I only go wheeling every once and a while. I saw this kit and wondered, hey, it's reasonably priced and it's not a Rusty's steering product, so why not?

I need opinions on this kit. Should I go ahead and grab it or should I just throw a ZJ V8 tie rod in and call it a day? I need a reliable steering system I can drive to and from college with.

Here it is on Quadratec:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_102_07.htm

Thanks,

George
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

throw a zj tie rod on there. buy it new. moog parts. it'll hold up nicely
there are a lot nicer steering systems for the money than rugged ridge
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I've heard RR steering is crap.
IF you can find one used, I would say go ZJ tie rod. Otherwise, for clsoe to the same price you can get IM4x4fab, rustys, etc upgraded tie rod for about 100$/with TRE's
If you really want to go crossover, consider WJ swap, or something like ruffstuff gm style crossover steering setup. You also need to go OTA trackbar mount with this as well.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Otherwise, for clsoe to the same price you can get IM4x4fab, rustys, etc upgraded tie rod for about 100$/with TRE's
"upgraded" being a loose term here

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If you really want to go crossover, consider WJ swap, or something like ruffstuff gm style crossover steering setup. You also need to go OTA trackbar mount with this as well.
damn. WJ or ruffstuff crossover on a jeep with 2" lift and 30's. now that's what I call overkill
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM

There are a lot of good systems out there but the rugged ridge is not one if you are planning on driving it on the road at all. I just removed one of these systems from my xj. The dead spot is the biggest pitfall of the system after 35 mph turns are no problem but good luck keeping it straight. Spend the extra money off the get go to get your money's worth. Currie is on of the best I would recommend but it is pricy.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

FWIW, I like my Serious 1 ton steering. Its strong, simple, and when at some point down the road the TREs need to be replaced, they're cheap and readily available.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I ran the RR setup and hated it at first. I made a spacer like the ones JCR uses and it helped a good bit. Main problem I had and one of the reasons I got rid of it is they use their own tie rods with an odd ball metric thread in the rods and they don't sell the ends seperate nor does anyone make one with that thread. They are now used as cheater pipes in the garage. You can buy one ton chevy tie rod ends and get weld in bungs and DOM and make your own cheaper than what most sell them for.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks all, I'll let you know what I end up doing. At this point I've dropped the rugged ridge setup and am just looking for a strong tie rod. Plenty of other things I can spend the $ on haha.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

2" and 30s? just get a new V8 ZJ setup.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Just got back from vacation.

Ordered a RR tie rod (not the entire kit) from Quadratec before I left and it came the night I was leaving. Rather than pay to return it (had free shipping) and re-order ZJ parts I figured I would just take my chances and run with this monster. I'm more than impressed with the build quality and I think it will last forever on my Jeep. A bit overkill for a 2" lift and 30's but I like that. I also wanted to keep my Y steering setup. Looks like you could kill someone if you hit them with this tubing lol.

About these TRE's - quality looks and feels great - only complaints I've heard are about the metric threading but I highly doubt I will EVER need to replace one with the minimal needs I have for this thing. Also came with these screw in nipple things that screw into the TRE's for a grease gun as well as two more nuts to take the place of them if you want to close off the holes and keep your nipples from getting dirty

What I should've done: the V8 ZJ steering setup
What I'm happier doing now that it's here: RR Long Tube Tie Rod

This tie rod was also $130.00. I'm happy paying that I'd say

I'm taking this thing to a mechanic next Saturday to have put in and have an alignment done afterwards. My new OME 1.75" coil springs and 10 mm spacers will be going in at that time as well. Check out my build thread.

Thanks guys,
George

Last edited by George's Limited XJ; 07-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.