Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough country Vs. Zone.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough country Vs. Zone.

What should I go with? it's a minimal difference in price. I'm looking at both kits, 3" lifts with the full rear leafs not AAL's. also with the zone I'm getting the nitto shock upgrade free. So figure it's a 25 dollar price difference.

I'll be doing minimal offloading so I won't be beating the s&$@ out of the suspension.

I want the better of the two. Also do you guys recommend changing the u bolts or anything else the standard kit doesn't come with? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

Rough country tends to ride like the name implys...rough. Zone is the same manufacturer as BDS, only difference is zone parts aren't powder coated and quality difference is minimal besides that. BDS is top notch so I'd go with the zone. Your definitely in the right ball park with full leafs thought. I used to sell both brands and many others. Rough country is by far the most economical of all pre assembled kits. A few years back they had issues with their poly bushings and it kinda gave them a bad rap and left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths. The shock upgrade going with zone is definitely worth it. Rough country shocks bite the dust within a year even with just daily driving. I warranteed their shocks almost every other day. I maybe only had one or two people in year that complained about a zone lift and t was usually due to improper maintanence or installation. I will says though, both companies stand by their products 100% and many people have good expiriences with customer service. All that said, if quality is what your after go zone, if its price then go RC. But at the price difference your talking for me it would be almost a no brainer. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SpacedOutXj
Rough country tends to ride like the name implys...rough. Zone is the same manufacturer as BDS, only difference is zone parts aren't powder coated and quality difference is minimal besides that. BDS is top notch so I'd go with the zone. Your definitely in the right ball park with full leafs thought. I used to sell both brands and many others. Rough country is by far the most economical of all pre assembled kits. A few years back they had issues with their poly bushings and it kinda gave them a bad rap and left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths. The shock upgrade going with zone is definitely worth it. Rough country shocks bite the dust within a year even with just daily driving. I warranteed their shocks almost every other day. I maybe only had one or two people in year that complained about a zone lift and t was usually due to improper maintanence or installation. I will says though, both companies stand by their products 100% and many people have good expiriences with customer service. All that said, if quality is what your after go zone, if its price then go RC. But at the price difference your talking for me it would be almost a no brainer. Good luck!
wow! thanks that is great info.

Last but not least, im doing a 3" lift on 33x12.50's i have a transfer case drop kit and a heavy duty steering stablizer on order from ironrock. I currently have a jeep wobble and i dont want it to worsen as i lift the jeep.

I was told steering stabalizer, 1" transfer case drop and i should be good..

Do i need a track bar?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

thats like, poop vs. doodie imho. either way, you end up with ****.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
LOL. Some time's Mikey D'S is all that's on the menu.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

I have the zone 3'' kit (full leafs) since October of last year and have already had to send the leafs back for warranty once (even before I did any wheeling with it). New ones settled back to where the first were (almost 1.5'' lower than the front), and I had to buy lift shackles to even it out
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rctrav
LOL. Some time's Mikey D'S is all that's on the menu.
aaaahahahaha touche sir, touche.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L H/O

I bought the Rough Country Series II lift. Here's what it comes with.
Name:  lift_zps98152fee.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  58.4 KB
It cost me $609.99 w/ tax. I think its worth it to spend the extra $$$ to get the control arms and sway bar drop brackets. Made alignment much easier. Also, without the sway bar brackets, you would have to get new links, which adds to the list. Control arms seem pretty beefy.The kit also comes with 2 sets of u bolts. One for C8.25 rear end and one set for D35/D44 I think. So far I'm happy with my lift. Although one of my shocks has gone bad. I think I may have bottomed it out though. As said before it rides pretty rough, but its a f***ing Jeep, not a Cadillac. TL;DR: I think its one of the best "bang for your buck" lift kits around.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Honestly, I would probably worry about finding the source of the death wobble before you lift? If you stay around here for any amount of time, people will tell you that steering stabilizers only mask the problem.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

You're going to mangle your stock steering. I'd put some money aside for that too. Also why not piece together a kit? I don't know about those shocks but RC ones are trash money. I would suggest getting Rubicon express and a good steering set up. Especially if you already have wobble.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM

This isn't my only car. My car I care about is a bagged VW. This is just a daily that I can drive and save some abuse on the VW. So why spend 1000's for a kit ya know?

Originally Posted by tssguy123
Honestly, I would probably worry about finding the source of the death wobble before you lift? If you stay around here for any amount of time, people will tell you that steering stabilizers only mask the problem.
My death wobble isn't terrible. Its random and I have to be going fast like over 50. And it only happens if I hit a bump really well. But honestly it doesn't bother me enough. I figured changing the steering stabilizer. The coils the shocks and possibly a new track bar and I figured it be gone. I guess not?

Originally Posted by UnbendingWings
You're going to mangle your stock steering. I'd put some money aside for that too. Also why not piece together a kit? I don't know about those shocks but RC ones are trash money. I would suggest getting Rubicon express and a good steering set up. Especially if you already have wobble.
Why am I going to mangle my stock steering? I'm not offloading. I could piece togather a kit. But I figured they are cheaper when bundled. I don't wanna spend a lot

I'm basically looking to lift my jeep 3" with full rear leafs for UNDER $550. So it anyone has any genius ideas or kits that I could buy that won't crumble on me in a year please suggest it.
I was looking at rockyroad kits as well but I really wanna spend as little as possible as I'm not even gonna be mudding. Just snow and bad roads.

last thing!
What if i did a zone kit with rough country rear leaf's? maybe this would be better?

Last edited by timebomb0220; 07-30-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:49 PM

http://www.rocky-road.com/xj-budget-lift.html

The problem is i need full rear leaf's cause mine are sagging beyond belief.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Oh my goodness rocky road is even worse. But whatever tickles your fancy I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Oh my goodness rocky road is even worse. But whatever tickles your fancy I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
rocky road was trying to sell me OME leaf springs and rock road spacers...

what do you have mighty and powerful truck owner? :notwo rthy:
Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

Go with zone 3" and upgraded shocks. as far as wobble make sure your tires have even tread and are balanced. jack up the Jeep and check all the tie rod ends for play.

At 3" a track bar bracket will be fine as long as your track bar is good.

Quick Reply: Rough country Vs. Zone.