Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country V.S. Rustys long arm upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Rough Country V.S. Rustys long arm upgrade kit

i have the rustys off road long arms and my buddy has the rough country long arms and he thinks his are better and they were cheaper but i strongly disagree anyone have any input on this did i pay to much for mine? or did he buy junk?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lolz_jeep
i have the rustys off road long arms and my buddy has the rough country long arms and he thinks his are better and they were cheaper but i strongly disagree anyone have any input on this did i pay to much for mine? or did he buy junk?
If RC long arms are anything like their lift kits then you made the better choice. Just my 2 cents though. Different strokes for different folks...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by grtstretchinsky
If RC long arms are anything like their lift kits then you made the better choice. Just my 2 cents though. Different strokes for different folks...
x2 i dont have long arms but have used both companys ,ill take rustys any day, another plus is rustys is made in america by americans which keep the money in this country where it belongs,if i ever do go to long arms i prefer the mounting rustys uses also

Last edited by freegdr; 04-09-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

my rough country long arms out perform people with rustys , and even beat out a clayton true 4 link on an rti ramp , i swear by my rough country and it works extrememly well on my rig
Attached Thumbnails Rough Country V.S. Rustys long arm upgrade kit-002resized.jpg   Rough Country V.S. Rustys long arm upgrade kit-548.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

they are both low budget long arms. That considered, I would be more comfortable running RC in parts-breaking situations than Rustys
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Hoooper
they are both low budget long arms. That considered, I would be more comfortable running RC in parts-breaking situations than Rustys
and clayton is supposed to be pretty high end and that kit dont flex no where near my rc kit , just saying , rough country came a long way in the last couple years and have real quality stuff now , and keep there prices reasonable , some peoples prices are just outta control for what it is
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
and clayton is supposed to be pretty high end and that kit dont flex no where near my rc kit , just saying , rough country came a long way in the last couple years and have real quality stuff now , and keep there prices reasonable , some peoples prices are just outta control for what it is
youre comparing 4-link to radius arm, also theres the whole shock length, bumpstopping, brake lines, etc that come into play. if he slapped on a kit, trimmed the fenders right off, no shock limiting or bumpstopping and you did the same, the radius arm will always win. remember, with a good radius arm, the arms themselves should never limit travel. I know when I put in my clayton radius arm I didnt have the shocks connected and I dropped the axle (connected to the long arms) so far than the front DS became disconnected

PS: I have a rough country lift, so I have nothing against the company, but it would not be correct to compare their parts to high end suspension guys.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98

I love my rc long arm kit flex's like crazy and doesn't break. Plus the ride is amazing 65 mph down the high way straight with no issues
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

also theres the whole shock length

how long of shocks do u recomend with LA and a 6.5 lift
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 AM

Year: 1999

my brother has the rusty high clearance long arms and he loves them i have the standard arms i will be putting on this week also i like how they make there stuff in house he in the usa and if you ever have a problem they are willing to help you
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM

So uh from this thread I take if I want to upgrade my four and a half short rc lift I should get a rc long arm not. Rustys
Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepster
So uh from this thread I take if I want to upgrade my four and a half short rc lift I should get a rc long arm not. Rustys
Basically, in the community there are either those who like duarte and have had success with them, or those who have had nightmares with them or are to scared from other nightmares to use them. All I know is that rustys is the only brand I know of that has had a trackbar fail and ruin Someones jeep and potentially could have killed them.

Like I said, either success or not
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

all companys will have part failures

Last edited by freegdr; 04-09-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
all companys will have part failures
Most companies don't have complete failures of vital suspension components while on road. Bending, yes, but complete failure? No

You have to expect this when you use a piece of twine as your "upgrade" track bar I guess.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Most companies don't have complete failures of vital suspension components while on road. Bending, yes, but complete failure? No

You have to expect this when you use a piece of twine as your upgrade track bar I guess.
im not going to post the part failure that i just found but rc has had them also search it on google there there

Quick Reply: Rough Country V.S. Rustys long arm upgrade kit