Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough country? Iro? Rusty's? BDS?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough country? Iro? Rusty's? BDS?!?!

So many different choices. Im looking to buy my lift soon but have to many options. I ve heard good and bad of all of them but now i need hear it from you guys. Ive heard that RC is cheap and will get the job done but the flex is the worst. Ive heard 75%/25% on rustys that they flex real nice and there affordable but that the parts break. IRO Ive heard hands down is just the best. The flex and durability is amazing but the price is higher and then if RC is so crappy why is IRO associated with them and sell RC lift kits? BDS i haven't heard to much about but i do see they have a life warranty? Do they flex well? DO they break? Help me if you can. I think i maybe going with rustys or IRO. THANKS
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

imo iro, rustys and rough country are the bottom of the line kits out there.

all will flex fine and dandy.

what size lift?

longarms?

what kind of wheeling?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

what does your budget for a lift dictate.

What size lift are you looking for.

Lots of thing place factor. How much do you want to spend. How big of tires are you running.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I love my BDS parts.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Pinto Farm

I have a combination of Rubicon Express and Clayton. No complaints, they both make quality products

I agree with ktmracer that iro, rustys, and rough country are bottomline kits. I use to have a rustys lift on my old jeep and it was complete trash
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM

(Directed to all of you at once)

Id like to spend no more than $500 for the lift (tires and rims not included)
- stock axles/gearing
Type of wheeling would be anything the lift could handle for the price ive given. If i could get a better quality 3in lift than 4.5 id take the 3in. Ive heard very good things about clayton
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM

No long arms. And no bigger than 33s prolly. I just want to wheel. So i guess 31s 32s idk i just need some guidance lol
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Clayton? Have you even been to the site or looked at the prices?? You will end up with rustys, RC, or zone
I like zone because they are owned by BDS. Also they hav the coolest looking shocks.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Atmos
Clayton? Have you even been to the site or looked at the prices?? You will end up with rustys, RC, or zone
I like zone because they are owned by BDS.
Well i didnt know the prices till just now for clayton and re. But holy crap the prices of clayton. Re had a 3.5in lift with no shocks for 403.99. Out of rc, rustys, rubicon express, or zone which ones going to perform the best
Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

I vote BDS for the "mild" or "beginner" lifts. If you have to ask, likely you still have to learn a bit about suspension geometry, capability, etc. That is how I was (pretty much still am). Going too big, expensive, complicated means excessive wrench time and not a lot of drive time.

Overall, from ready the various threads BDS seems ro get the least complaints. They are probably the least popular, but sometimes that is an advantage. I myself had to go with Rough Country, which is a fine kit. It is the bottom price wise, but is common (so lots of folks are familiar). They ride harder than BDS (I haven't had a ride in XJs with the others), but I can't complain overall. I did a 3" with 31" tires and zero d.wobble post install. But again, I suggest BDS everytime...if you can swing the cost.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

The RE one isn't worth it at that level. You'll still need to add about $500 worth of crap to it
Honestly I never do this but I'd have to say rough country. It'll be the most bang for your buck
If I only had $500 I'd get a zone kit. But since you just want to wheel, get the biggest fanciest RC kit you can afford
It ain't gonna last forever and it ain't gonna be pretty. But it will work
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

nothing wrong with starting with Rough Country. especially if you only have 5 hundy.

Been runnin Rough country for like 5 years now. I got not issues with them.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

at 500 bucks budget I would stick to a budget boost and some decent shocks honestly.

Just hang onto the extra money, wheel, and then decide what the next uprgade will be.

There are almost always hidden costs when building something. (tools you might need, hardware, bumpstops, driveline modifications, you might find worn parts, etc) A quality 3" kit (with full leaf packs) is going to run you right around $500 if not more.

The reason i reccomend full leaf packs, is that an add a leaf added to a saggy, stock leaf pack, never lasts long, and is really only a temporary way to lift the truck. The life is even less if you wheel, tow, or carry cargo.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by Atmos
Also they hav the coolest looking shocks.
I beg the differ.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by zoneoffroad.com
New front coil springs are supplied that are capable of handling anything! Since we design our coil springs for off road use, there is no need for bump stop extensions
i lol'd

Originally Posted by zoneoffroad.com
Zone Offroad doesn't design just spacer kits, they design suspension systems. After looking at all of the spacer kits on the market, Zone Offroad designed one that would actually maximize performance.
i lol'd again

Not trying to single out just zone, many companies try to make their kits seem like gods gift to the wheeling world compared to others, but what they sometimes say and claim is pretty funny.

Quick Reply: Rough country? Iro? Rusty's? BDS?!?!