Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace OEM air with R134 for 93 XJ intended to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replace OEM air with R134 for 93 XJ intended to sell?

Hi all,

I own a 1993 Cherokee 2.5L 4-cyl that I am intending to sell. Several people have asked about air (something I never even thought to ask about when looking at a 20 year old vehicle , but is apparently important to some), but it is completely non-functional. Only recently did I replace the blower motor switch to allow for heat (what a difference haha!), and I realize the blower motor and the blower motor resistor actually both need to be replaced to be safe. They total $40 from O'Reilly's Auto. When I bought the vehicle, the "mechanic" who owned it (don't get me started) told me that this one hose leading into the radiator (or condenser?) was just stripped and that if it was just replaced the AC would work . I know that 1.) the condenser threads are most certainly stripped, 2.) the compressor is likely shot because it has sat out exposed to the air and seasonal changes for at least ~2 years, 3.) the system is entirely emptied of its R12 refrigerant, and 4.) a full R134a conversion done by a shop is simply not cost effective for selling this vehicle.

ALL OF THIS SAID.... I would love to learn about the possibility of restoring AC to this vehicle, some way, some how, because I really think it would help it to sell here in South Carolina. Primary question: has anyone done a full R134a conversion themselves and furthermore is it even worth considering in this case?

I really love this vehicle and do not want to sell it for any less than I have it listed for. If someone is not willing to pay what I paid for it I feel as if I'd rather keep it myself, it is fully paid-for after all. Please let me know what you think. If I could do this conversion for something less than $300 or so I may pursue it. I understand some things might have to be done in a shop. If anyone could point me in the right direction, or especially if anyone has any direct experience with a similar situation, I would really appreciate any helpful advice!!

Thank you!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Converting is actually a lot easier than everyone thinks. new drier, new orifice tube, new fittings, evacuate vacuum(extended) and recharge to 80%ish capacity of R12 system.

With that being said I wouldn't do anything with it if you are selling, AC bills quickly add up and you could be looking at 1000 bucks before you even find out if the system will hold pressure. How much are you asking for the jeep. People who are only concerned with AC on a 20yr old jeep are not your target crowd. dont fix the AC, dont lower your price, you will find someone who wants the jeep for being a jeep.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 AM

Thank you man, that is how I am feeling as well. It's not that it wouldn't be worth it--IF I was keeping it for myself. Now to do all that work for someone else and you're right- the inevitable troubleshooting, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The fact that these people are asking about AC is like they are asking if it is like new. Every time I'm like ??? did you really just ask me that??

Anyways, I'm asking $2500. Like I said, I paid that in 2014 and have dropped $1500 in it. It runs like a charm too. Where is a good site I can list it online besides Craigslist? No one even calls from CL, only from my local classified ad I listed it in. It makes me want to keep it but I really would rather get rid of it while it is still in good shape. Getting tired of useless calls though... "I'm really interested in the Jeep, does it have AC?" lol wtf... haha thanks again man

EDIT:

Also, I think $2500 is on the higher end of what is asked by private dealers for my area, in South Carolina. Still, Jeeps of this age and condition regularly are listed for this price on Craigslist, they come at somewhat of a premium for this area (no road salt here, no mountainous terrain, no coastal salt either, and highly useable and valued as work and recreational vehicles with high resale values). Other people in other threads have said I wasted a bunch of money but I disagree. I may have gotten it for $2000 but not much less. What would you suggest a reasonable price to ask for would be? For example on a site that listed the vehicle throughout the Southeast, and even beyond? Thanks again.

Last edited by ecgleaton; 07-07-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Kind of market dependent. Make sure your ads says NO AC. Eliminates dumb questions.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Its far cheaper and easier to change it over to r134a,R12 you have to have a license to buy it most places don't carry it anymore because cars stopped using it around 1996,And its pricey last time i checked a price was 50 bucks a can at pepboys 10 years ago.And most ac systems your looking 3 cans if its fully empty.But with your system empty you need to figure out whats wrong with it and fix it.I would take it to a shop and let them pull a vacuum on the system.If it will hold a vacuum you have hope if not somethings wrong and things can get pricey.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:54 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I typically only use CL. You can try Cars.Com and Autotrader.Com or even Ebay motors. You can even post it on this site. I would post it at 2500 take 100 off every 10 days or 2 weeks. People in the rest belt would be likely to pay much more for a Cali car than people in Cali
Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

More info on the jeep tho,If its a 2wd 4 cylinder stick that will be hard to sell even in prefect shape.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 HO

you can try mobile apps like let it go and offer up, my wife does pretty good reselling things we don't need and I always see XJ's on it here where I am.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all, I will be sure to look into all of these avenues.

The Jeep is a 2-dr, 2WD stick-shift 4-cyl. I've loved it though because it gets 25 MPH, better even sometimes than my Infiniti sedan.

Edit: Because it is lifted on 31" Cooper Discoverers and was not re-geared.

Last edited by ecgleaton; 07-08-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 07-09-2016, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

The 2wd and 4 cylinder will make it harder to sell.The 2 door body is good a lot of people want one so you might have some hope on moving it.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To answer your question-

No, you'll gain nothing.

Sell it as is.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Thinking about a good detailing inside and out can help you sell it faster.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Thanks again for the advice guys. My problem is that too few people are even willing to come out and see it. Only phone calls I get are like "Hm I've always wanted a Jeep, is it a Wrangler??" Somehow the local classified I listed it in or myself forgot to say it was a Cherokee haha. I parked it up the street in a great spot I paid for for a month and only one person called.

I may resort to driving it around as my daily driver with a for sale sign on it. Anything else you can think of to help me find "the sweet spot" of prospects? Some of these people I wouldn't even want to sell it to. I mean c'mon dude, your grand-daughter's first car??? It doesn't even have airbags haha.

I really think this Jeep needs to go to someone who will for one appreciate it for exactly what it is -- an incredible vehicle built 23 years ago, and for two will know what they are getting into -- driving a vehicle built 23 years ago lol.

Last quick question: out of total curiosity, is it possible to drop a 6-cyl. into the engine bay of one of these vehicles? Not that I would ever do that for someone else, but I would consider it for myself. Thanks again guys
Old 07-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecgleaton
Thanks again for the advice guys. My problem is that too few people are even willing to come out and see it. Only phone calls I get are like "Hm I've always wanted a Jeep, is it a Wrangler??" Somehow the local classified I listed it in or myself forgot to say it was a Cherokee haha. I parked it up the street in a great spot I paid for for a month and only one person called.

I may resort to driving it around as my daily driver with a for sale sign on it. Anything else you can think of to help me find "the sweet spot" of prospects? Some of these people I wouldn't even want to sell it to. I mean c'mon dude, your grand-daughter's first car??? It doesn't even have airbags haha.

I really think this Jeep needs to go to someone who will for one appreciate it for exactly what it is -- an incredible vehicle built 23 years ago, and for two will know what they are getting into -- driving a vehicle built 23 years ago lol.

Last quick question: out of total curiosity, is it possible to drop a 6-cyl. into the engine bay of one of these vehicles? Not that I would ever do that for someone else, but I would consider it for myself. Thanks again guys

Yes, it's possible.

Where are you located?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:05 AM

The Midlands of South Carolina

Quick Reply: Replace OEM air with R134 for 93 XJ intended to sell?