Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable winch storage mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Removable winch storage mount

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has seen or designed a smart way to store a removable winch when it is not plugged into the bumper? I normally secure mine with straps, but I rather it more secure in case of a rollover, let alone making it easier to take in and out.

Mine, like most, fits in a carrier that slides into a hitch receiver on either front or back bumper. I am imagining welding another hitch receiver to something that could be bolted down. It would come in and out easy and would hold on during any bumpy rides.

Pictures would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about installing a receiver tube in the cargo area? You could slide the cradle into it, much the same way you would when mounting it for use.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yep, you could buy a builders piece (weld on receiver tube) that you can weld to a mount and bolt it down in the cargo area.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly having a winch in a cradle is the worse idea to having a winch,With a hitch front and back makes it sound like you can pull out the winch when you need it and use it right ?Well the winch needs power to run and if your stuck you have to either shove it in the rear or dig out the front to use it.If you drive around with it mounted in the front it sticks way out and gets more in your way.Honestly buy a winch bumper its far less work to have and use,And youd almost never winch back if you have to do it 2 ****** blocks and tree savers you can pull the jeep back from the front.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

^this

but you need at least 3 or more ****** blocks and a bunch of tree straps.

true that when you need your winch, you will be in the worse possible conditions like waist deep in a slippery muddy hole. try pulling your 100 pound winch down into that slippery slope then hope you can slip the winch cradle into your receiver while it's under dark muddy water, that's if you didn't slip and fall shoving that winch mount into your chest or slamming your face into your bumper knocking yourself out. not to mention your approach and departure angle is screwed with that winch protruding 3 feet out from your bumper. and you can really only do a straight on pull without bending your cradle.

it's easier to just get a winch bumper and carry the right amount of equipment or simply don't go out alone.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by caged
^this

but you need at least 3 or more ****** blocks and a bunch of tree straps. and some trees.....lol

. and you can really only do a straight on pull without bending your cradle.
That right there is true...ask me how I know haha..me and a friend were stuck in his jeep once looking for his cattle up in the mountains. Got stuck in some mud. All he had was a winch on a cradle. We pulled at a small angle, maybe 25 degrees or so because their were no trees straight in front of us. The damn cradle broke where it met the part that goes into the receiver. It wasn't a cheap cradle either h ahah. It was ok because their was lots of people around looking for their cows as well so they helped us. But still....he went out and got more equipment like ****** blocks and stuff......but still refused to get a bumper hahah
Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Pigeon
How about installing a receiver tube in the cargo area? You could slide the cradle into it, much the same way you would when mounting it for use.
^ this is what I was trying to refer too. If anyone had seen that done?

I completely understand what everyone else is speaking about and appreciate your thoughts but I am way past that point. My jeep had an ARB bull bar bumper with winch mount on the front. I wheel in the snow and over rocks. The snow can get mighty tricky when you're alone and the only tree to winch too is behind you (again, I hear your thoughts on the ****** blocks). Regardless, I wanted a more low key front bumper and winch abilities from the back. SO, I now how a JCR bumper up front with a receiver in it. Also, in the back, I have the OR-Fab comp cut bumper also with a receiver. I mounted my winch in a cradle and ran quick disconnects to the front and rear.

Now I just need to make something to hold the winch and cradle too while being stored in the back.

Thank you for your comments. All good thoughts.

For the curious and because I love this thing...a more updated version of my profile picture (same place, years later with bumpers, sliders and more).

-Esteem

Last edited by esteem; 11-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

One of bleepin jeeps members showed one in a video. Tyler I believe, when he was showin his father's built up blue xj video. He made a lockable mount for a winch cradle.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by caged
^this

but you need at least 3 or more ****** blocks and a bunch of tree straps.

true that when you need your winch, you will be in the worse possible conditions like waist deep in a slippery muddy hole. try pulling your 100 pound winch down into that slippery slope then hope you can slip the winch cradle into your receiver while it's under dark muddy water, that's if you didn't slip and fall shoving that winch mount into your chest or slamming your face into your bumper knocking yourself out. not to mention your approach and departure angle is screwed with that winch protruding 3 feet out from your bumper. and you can really only do a straight on pull without bending your cradle.

it's easier to just get a winch bumper and carry the right amount of equipment or simply don't go out alone.
I learned that lesson the hard way years ago on a bronco i had,Got stuck went put the winch cradle in the front hitch had to dig it out with a shovel for over a hour.Then had to dig a trench for the winch to pull it out of the hole was a nightmare.After that i got a winch bumper and never had to deal with problems like that again.