Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar better control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear sway bar better control?

So I've been toying this idea around for a while and looking at other opinions. First the setup:
6 inch lift on 33's
Cad brackets
Leaf lift not shackles
Full control arms
Shackle relocation
You know the works! Rides great for lifted so tall!
I'm toying the idea of reinstalling a rear sway bar. I've got access to a Hellwig 3/4 rear sway bar and would need to make links for it (no big deal). I'm wondering if putting a sway bar back in the rear I can gain more on road control and less body roll while cornering? I know before I get beat up over less flex and all that; this thing is a mall crawler. It sees pavement 97% of the time and when it does hit the dirt it is not extreme in any way. Just looking at what everyone thought of the setup and outcome? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you like the 33s why not lower the lift down to a 4.5 or 5 inches ?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

When I had skyjacker soft-ride leaf springs it had a lot of body roll. I extended the links and connected rear sway bar. Highway stability and cornering were much improved. No front sway bar was connected during this 'test'.
The main issue with extending links is that the link is then adjacent and very close to sidewall of tires, it should be inside rim of wheel. Backspacing will determine how close to sidewall.
Once I upgraded to BDS 7-leaf springs there was no need for the rear sway and highway stability was better than the soft-ride and rear sway combination.
I have heard good things about the Hellwig. It may not have the clearance issues the stock bar did.
1996 XJ 4.5" lift
Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a highway rider. I would say the sway bar would be a nice upgrade for handling. I have a '99 WJ on 8" Clayton long arm and 35's. When I first set up the vehicle I felt I had to upgrade the rear sway bar. Went with a 1" Addco and it handled really good for such a big Jeep. However over time it starting cracking the unibody frame at the sway bar mounts. I'm thinking 3/4" bar would be a safer bet against that issue. I ended up taking off the sway bar and have not had it for years. I prefer the Jeep without for 90% of the driving. High speeds on the highway in big winds etc. it would be nice to have. Also when towing a heavy load.
For the flex haters. All you have to do is unhook a link or both links just like the front. Hard to have the best of both worlds. If handling is your prime goal then do it. If you are happy with the vehicle now and like the convenience of not unhooking anything when you need some flex then don't worry about it.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Reviving an older thread:
So I'm currently gathering parts for this project and had a few questions. How would one measure for the links? I've got the bar and got it for a song! I'm just wondering on ideas on selecting an end link. The stock set up is with the end of the bar roughly 1-2 inches off the ubolt plates, well obviously that won't work well with one lifted this tall. Any input or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Sway bars should be set to the suggested/recommended angle. Then measure for links. Or look at the Hellwig kit for the XJ to get the proper size.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 AM

The hellwig kit puts the sway bar right back to oe position, it is made to be put on a stock Cherokee.