Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Speaker Setup

Hey I just thought I would share what I came up with for speakers in the back of my XJ.

I've got two 12" subs in a sealed box in the back, and to keep up with the bass I knew I wouldn't be able to use those stock speaker holes, I think they are 5 1/4".

What I did was grab some 6x9 speaker boxes, ~$20 at walmart and throw some kenwoods in them. Then I found some extra wood I had laying around and screwed wider bases onto the bottom of them, wrapped them in carpet to match the sub box and set them on top of the sub box. I put a spacer in between the two 6x9's to keep the left and right sound separate instead of having it all come from the center in the back, and used a ratchet strap to hold it and the sub box down.

I've done some pretty bumpy offroad driving and never had a single problem, it works great and with the factory tweeter mounts in my a-pillars and some high dollar speakers in the front I've got a pretty gnarly stereo.

The only thing I would change is putting my subs into truck boxes to give more room in the back, but I probably won't do that because they are JL 12W3's and they are in a special box.

Now here comes the best part.

The 6x9's have extra length to their speaker wires so when I'm out fishing, or just making noise while weeling I throw them on the rack on top of the jeep, use an extra ratchet strap to hold them down and I'm a portable boom box.

Also, with the speakers on the outside like that I don't have to turn my stereo up near as loud to hear the music when I'm out of the vehicle, great for camping, fishing, etc.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 AM

That's actually really awesome! I'd like to see some pics. Did you just splice the 6x9s into the rear speaker wiring?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
That's actually really awesome! I'd like to see some pics. Did you just splice the 6x9s into the rear speaker wiring?
x2 Yeah pics or it didn't happen
Old 12-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Two 12"s? Knockin!
I have found that one 10" in a non-ported box is adequate. Built-in amp is a plus also.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Speaker Setup-dsc03323.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 05:41 AM

I'll take pics after work today but I actually mounted a third amp under the back seat that the 6x9's and front speakers run off of, the amps for the subs are mounted on the back of the back seats.

So my wires are fresh, and hidden because the extra slack stays under the seat until I throw them on top