Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Rear Shocks

So in about a month I will be getting a zone off road 3 inch AAL, and I will install it myself. The only thing I fear is the rear shock upper mount bolts breaking. So my question is could the upgraded shocks fit on a stock height jeep so I can have my mechanic but them on. Then I will drive it home (about a half mile) and put everything else on myself? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Even if they do break, you can finagle new bolts up there if you have small enough hands and some patience, the other solution is cut a hole in your floor. They are either going to break or not. I recommend using the rear sway bar bracket that attaches to your axle as bar pin eliminators and bolting those up where the shock normally would. That way you will never have to touch those bolts again.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheJerm
Even if they do break, you can finagle new bolts up there if you have small enough hands and some patience, the other solution is cut a hole in your floor. They are either going to break or not. I recommend using the rear sway bar bracket that attaches to your axle as bar pin eliminators and bolting those up where the shock normally would. That way you will never have to touch those bolts again.
Could you elaborate on the first part for me?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

You can also fish some wire through there without to much hassle. Well... You can do it anyway. In your driveway may be a little more tricky cause the angles you're allowed. I had a shop lift and it still gave me a bit of trouble. Have patience and its do-able though, welding wire worked well.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Hes a write up to fix it through the floor.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...ock_mounts.htm

See the access hole where the black electrical connector is? You can feed in new bolts and use a wrench to hold them from there instead of cutting the floor. I only had to fix one bolt on my cousin's XJ b/c he used an impact on it.

Here's the home made BPE's i was talking about.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/.../Rear_BPEs.htm
Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Ok cool, I read on another forum that you could slip some bolts up in that space you were taking about, and then fish them through the hole downward so that you could attach the nut from the outside. Effectively reversing the way it is now. What do u think about that? I really don't want to cut my floor out. I don't have the tools and it's my DD

Edit:

Found this online, seems very easy, what do you think?
http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_7776580

Last edited by OOdynamite; 04-09-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Ok I don't think that link worked so here are screen shots from the website. I hope I can do this, cuz it sounds really easy.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Shocks-image-783623702.jpg   Rear Shocks-image-1042599260.jpg   Rear Shocks-image-2115829279.jpg   Rear Shocks-image-3038468359.jpg   Rear Shocks-image-3691176937.jpg  

Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Mine broke, and I fished bolts through just like they are talking about, and they worked great. No need to have your mechanic put them on. If you can do an add a leaf, then you can do broke bolts. You may also get lucky and they may not break, but I doubt it.

Also, think about bar pin eliminators for your rear shocks. You bolt them up to where the bar pin goes, and then you bolt the shock into them. If you need to replace the shock again later, then you dont have to unbolt anything from the jeep, just remove the bolt from the BPE.

You can make a set from your rear sway bar, or you can buy some for pretty cheap

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
Mine broke, and I fished bolts through just like they are talking about, and they worked great. No need to have your mechanic put them on. If you can do an add a leaf, then you can do broke bolts. You may also get lucky and they may not break, but I doubt it.

Also, think about bar pin eliminators for your rear shocks. You bolt them up to where the bar pin goes, and then you bolt the shock into them. If you need to replace the shock again later, then you dont have to unbolt anything from the jeep, just remove the bolt from the BPE.

You can make a set from your rear sway bar, or you can buy some for pretty cheap

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
So I could use the BPE to basically relocate the upper shock mount? (Can you tell I don't know what a BPE is, lol)

And as for being able to do an AAL, lets just hope so... I've never done it, and this will by far be the most in depth and complicated project I've ever done on my jeep or on any vehicle for that matter. It doesn't look that hard to be honest though.

And I'm gonna soak the shock bolts in PB blaster for like 3 weeks before i do the install.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 PM

yes, you can use the BPE to sorta relocate the shock mount, which will make it easier for you to change shocks next time.

You can get through the AAL, there are write ups all over the place. We can also help you through it
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Year: 99

i have installed about 5 lifts in my two jeeps my buddys my dads and uncles and each jeep the bolts broke and i found the easiest way to fix them is to just simply drill it out and tap it
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by OOdynamite

So I could use the BPE to basically relocate the upper shock mount? (Can you tell I don't know what a BPE is, lol)

And as for being able to do an AAL, lets just hope so... I've never done it, and this will by far be the most in depth and complicated project I've ever done on my jeep or on any vehicle for that matter. It doesn't look that hard to be honest though.

And I'm gonna soak the shock bolts in PB blaster for like 3 weeks before i do the install.
AAL's aren't that bad. You just need to do some reading up so you understand what your doing which it sounds like you've done.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by OOdynamite

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
yes, you can use the BPE to sorta relocate the shock mount, which will make it easier for you to change shocks next time.

You can get through the AAL, there are write ups all over the place. We can also help you through it
For shocks, you should be fine running extended shocks at current height as long as you dont wheel and beat them up.

I would recommend piecing lift parts and make your own kit. Will be cheaper to pick up a spare leaf pack since you re going to build your own.
If you can tho, I would recommend picking up some OME full leaf packs/bushing +mj or other shackle. ZJ V8 upcountry coils or other coils of your choice.
Do you know what shocks you are going to use? JK rubicon shocks work well for up to 4"ish lift and can be had on the cheap. Otherwise I recommend Biltein51xx
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by krew
i have installed about 5 lifts in my two jeeps my buddys my dads and uncles and each jeep the bolts broke and i found the easiest way to fix them is to just simply drill it out and tap it
This is why I'm so happy my gf's and mine jeep is from the south. Never broken anything and never had to pb blaster or the like
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by TheJerm
the bar pin eliminators need to be clocked 90 degrees and welded in

Quick Reply: Rear Shocks