Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear leaf spring bushing - same size as ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear leaf spring bushing - same size as ????

Hello all.

I am adding a leaf to my rear suspension to get rid of the sag that is there. This is on my daily driver.

A main leaf from a parts jeep is going to be modified and used as the additional leaf.

The suspension is rusted on there pretty good in some spots (one on each side) and I am going to just cut them out instead of trying to fight with them.

As I cut through the bolts, the bushing components are going to get destroyed so I will need some new bushings.

Apparently Jeep parts are hard to get up here so instead of ordering in I was hoping that someone could tell me of other suspensions that have the same sized spring eyes.

If I could find info on which other suspensions have the same spring eye dimensions, then I could just order those bushings (say from a Dakota?) - which would be the same as I need, just listed elsewhere and hopefully easier to get.

Also, I read that removing the rear sway bar is an okay thing to do since some XJs come without them already. What are your thoughts on this? Right now I am not considering this as my new ride height should be fairly close to where a new set of leaf springs should get me, but I will be lifting this or my other jeep higher later on so I figured I would ask now.

Thanks

Chris
Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Why are you removing the leaf springs to add a leaf? That's completely unnecessary.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by lowrange2
Why are you removing the leaf springs to add a leaf? That's completely unnecessary.
I realize that I could have left the main leaf in place and just removed the other leafs.

As part of combating rust I chose to remove the main leaf as well so that I could clean up and paint a larger portion of the jeep, and at the same time put in new hardware, anti-seize, etc where required.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If the bushings are the same for another truck, then the parts store will list the same part number for both trucks.

I would at least try to find the bushings before you go crazy trying to retrofit another vehicle bushing in there anyway...

Not sure where you are located, but im sure having some shipped isnt completely out of the question either.