Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE superflex heim joint?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default RE superflex heim joint?????

I am wanting to get some help from someone who has replaced the heim joint on their Rubicon Express control arms. I am having a hell of a time with these.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM

I am pretty sure the control arms I have are RE3700. There is a zerk fitting only on the one end with the heim joint.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Either you have a very old set of RE arms with an actual Heim joint or you have a JohnnyJoint.. which is the way i'm leaning since you mention a zerk fitting.

What are you having trouble with?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Oh, ya youre probably correct. My bad. This is the kit I ordered. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16301_4404.htm

I got everything out except for the round wheel looking thing, mine looks like its fixed in there. Also the part that requires a special tool is still on. The set screw that goes in there is stripped out. I drilled it, but now i want to tap it and i am trying to figure out what size tap to go with. I suppose i could wait till my parts get here and guage it off of the new set screw.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

These are the control arms I have.

Name:  iphone114_zps78f54b74.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  80.7 KB
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

You can use snap ring pliers for the plate thingy instead of the tool, take that off and you should be in business...those ***** are a pain

I used an ac clutch holding tool too...rent it from autozone
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM

I got the snap rings off, then the washer, the ball, and the 2 plastic peices inside, I can't get the last peice off-the one you see in the picture with the 4 holes in it. There is a set screw that goes in from the arm to stop it from accidently spinning off i guess. They are stripped out. So i drilled them but need to tap them now. Also with the kit I ordered it shows the round cylinder looking thing, I dont have that, it seems that its part of my arm.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Let the outer threaded portion set in penetrant for awhile. Make sure all the set screw is removed from the ID so it doesnt damage the threads during removal.

I found the easiest way to break that part loose was with an impact and the proper RE tools.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Ok, so that set screw.....i drilled it out and im going to try to re tap it to its original size, but if not, how important is it that its there? Thats where I am stuck at right now. The set screw is completley stripped out, so i drilled it, through, I tried to use an extractor, broke the extractor, so now I am going to attempt to tap it. Just not sure on the tap size yet. Oh ya, these babys were BAD, the ball inside was completely dry and rusty. Someone didnt grease.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by sapper
Ok, so that set screw.....i drilled it out and im going to try to re tap it to its original size, but if not, how important is it that its there? Thats where I am stuck at right now. The set screw is completley stripped out, so i drilled it, through, I tried to use an extractor, broke the extractor, so now I am going to attempt to tap it. Just not sure on the tap size yet. Oh ya, these babys were BAD, the ball inside was completely dry and rusty. Someone didnt grease.
weld that hole up, and drill and tap a new one.. you need it so it stays tight. i never had good luck with RE arms, they always seemed to wear out way too fast. good luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Those don't look like my RE arms and mine don't have a set screw but my buddy's Rusty's arms do.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Those don't look like my RE arms and mine don't have a set screw but my buddy's Rusty's arms do.
they appear to be early re arms before they went to their own "superride" bushing. the bushings on those are just stock xj control arm bushings.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ok, to properly tighten those joints you need the rubicon express large superflex tool. I suppose you could also make a tool. or use the ol' punch and hammer method if they are loose enough.

and if you ordered the small superflex rebuild kit like you posted, I do believe you ordered the wrong kit.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
they appear to be early re arms before they went to their own "superride" bushing. the bushings on those are just stock xj control arm bushings.
The lowers look like new ones, the older ones didnt use the super flex tool, just a snap ring on each side.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Those are the large ones? Damnt. It says 1/2" ID i measured the old one and it is the same. Damn i guess i will find out soon they already shipped.

Quick Reply: RE superflex heim joint?????