Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator: Prices; 2 vs 3 Core; Brands Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Radiator: Prices; 2 vs 3 Core; Brands Am I Crazy?

I have searched this forum and 3 others regarding the merits of 2 vs. 3 core radiators; hood vents; hood louvers; etc. I was simply trying to come up with a consensus regarding be way to keep engine temps down. Man... everybody is all over the place! I understand the 4.0 is warm blooded and meant to do business in the 205 to 225 deg range. Still, I am amazed at the variation in experiences. I am new to the Jeep thing. Previously, I have owned several Broncos ('67, '68, '72). My last truck was a LR Discovery. The experiences in both those arenas was much more in agreement and not so varied.

I have seen a rather shocking amount of posts saying that Modine (or other "name" brands) is not any better or worse than the stock radiator when looking at the actual ability for the vehicle to run cooler. (This is for stock through fairly hopped up Cherokees) Does 2 vs. 3 cores really make any diff? If not... why not? I know the thickness of the tubes in the 3 core is smaller but I really want to find the most definitive answer I can. Yes... I know there are variables, I'm just trying to get a baseline that is a little more definitive.

When I look at prices... good grief!!! They range from $52.00 shipped (stock style alum/plast) to over $450 for real fancy 3 core. It is hard to fathom that all those "stock" style radiators out there (for $55 to $110 shipped) are simply pieces of $#!7. Maybe they are though. If you go on e-bay and look, you might (or might not... I suppose) be shocked at the difference in price.

I live in El Paso, TX. It is almost "Arizona hot" here and same seasons. Just want some ideas here. I really appreciate anybody taking time to read this!

Last edited by guitback; 09-15-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

2 vs 3 row, 3 row will always cool more if they have the same/similar construction.

The reason to go with an all metal radiator instead of a stock radiator is for longevity. The all metal radiators can withstand more abuse on the trail, and are generally considered fixable if you get a crack/hole in the tank.

All aluminum vs others, IMO if you need an all aluminum radiator you already know that you do and why, so its probably not for you in this case
Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

i'll be watching this thread I also live in El paso and i have been tring to find info on a 3 core my heep does not like transmountain one bit haha