Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.C. 4.5'' lift help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High output inline 6
Default R.C. 4.5'' lift help.

alright so about a year and a half ago I installed a rough country 4.5 inch lift on my xj, well for the last 8 months or so ive had death wobble... after about 600 bucks into my front end in parts, I finally got new rims which I hope will end my issue. thing is today I had my front end looked at by a shop and although I was told everything is tight, I was told that the bushings(just about all of them) need replacing. when I get under my jeep everything seems tight, but yet every time I hit a bump on road of go offroad I have a lot of clunking and banging, so what I am wondering is if ordering a new set of bushing from rc is worth it, ive herd mixed reviews about the bushings they supply. so if anyone els has had this bushing problem, and swapped to different bushings info would be greatly appreciated as I would like to not have to replace these every year or year and a half. minded I am now just starting to sctually wheel my rig. thanks for the help guys.

*also if anyone has bought a bushing kit off ebay or amazon or someplace for a decent price that would be greatly appreciated as well...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 AM

did you ever grease any of those bushings or zerk fittings since you had the lift? If not be sure to add grease to those things every time you go wheeling. Greasing up your rig is one of the best preventive maintenance procedures you can do.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I just can't understand what you spent 600 bucks on, only to still have DW....lol.

Anyway RC usually uses Moog, but it depends on whats available at the time. That's what I was told by a rep there. After 200 miles my tracbar ball joint started going bad.

I was told that sometimes there is inferior ball joints used just to keep up with parts.
I was like really???
SO instead of caring for the customer and letting them buy from another vender, to maintain that we the customer get quality parts; RC would rather just sell us sh!tty parts so as to not have to loose our business.

THIS IS A FACT. AND IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME AFTER ONLY 200 MILES ON MY TRACBAR. BUT I HAD THE TRACBAR IN MY HOUSE FOR OVER A YEAR BEFORE I USED IT. THEREFORE NO WARRANTY COULD BE ISSUED.

So. with that said OP; I wouldn't buy them from RC.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by CherokeeShrop91
alright so about a year and a half ago I installed a rough country 4.5 inch lift on my xj, well for the last 8 months or so ive had death wobble... after about 600 bucks into my front end in parts, I finally got new rims which I hope will end my issue. thing is today I had my front end looked at by a shop and although I was told everything is tight, I was told that the bushings(just about all of them) need replacing. when I get under my jeep everything seems tight, but yet every time I hit a bump on road of go offroad I have a lot of clunking and banging, so what I am wondering is if ordering a new set of bushing from rc is worth it, ive herd mixed reviews about the bushings they supply. so if anyone els has had this bushing problem, and swapped to different bushings info would be greatly appreciated as I would like to not have to replace these every year or year and a half. minded I am now just starting to sctually wheel my rig. thanks for the help guys.

*also if anyone has bought a bushing kit off ebay or amazon or someplace for a decent price that would be greatly appreciated as well...
First, are these rubber bushings or the ball-type "flex-joint" they offer?

I would call them up and ask for a part number to cross reference for each bushing. Use the part number to find a reputable supplier then order from rockauto or your favorite parts supplier.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 PM

I had the same problem on my 92 xj with a RC 4.5" lift the lower control arm bushings were toast withing 100 miles! RC would not do anything about it saying I must have installed them wrong lol I went to the local hardware and got new metal sleeves for the rubber bushing and pressed them in and got a bolt that fit snug and never had another issue and it cost me less than $10 just time consuming but death wobble was gone.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Engine: 4.0L High output inline 6

thanks guys for all the help, I'll definitely look into that. and Jeepin99, do you remember any part numbers or anything that you bought, unless its simple parts
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 AM

It was just simple parts take your control arms off take them to your local hardware and find a metal sleeve that will fit snug in that rubber bushing then a bolt to fit snug in the sleeve