Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions About Slip Yoke Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Questions About Slip Yoke Eliminator

Okay, so I am completely new to Jeeps and 4x4s in general. I'm coming from a background of motorcycles and cars. That being said, this is my first real 4x4 vehicle and I'm finding there's a lot of stuff on these things that I have no knowledge of.

I bought probably the cleanest 2000 Jeep Cherokee that anyone could buy. The car looks like it came off a show room floor, it doesn't even have as much as a single door ding or rock chip. I'm very happy with it and love the way it drives.

One of the things the previous owner did was to installed a 2.5 inch OME (Old Man Emu) suspension lift. In the process of doing this he lowered the transfer case with some blocks instead of doing a slip yoke eliminator.

I've done enough reading to know that the right way to do things when you lift it is to add a SYE. I'd like to go ahead and order a SYE and I was planning on ordering one from here... http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ixed-yoke-kit/

First off I have a few questions since I've never owned a vehicle with a transfer case before...

1) I'm a very mechanically inclined person. I've rebuilt tons of motors and have all the tools and space I need. So, that being said I'm wondering how long it typically takes to do a SYE and if it involves completely removing the transfer case from the vehicle or if you can do it while it's still attached to the vehicle?

2) When ordering from the link above they ask you for the 'Yoke Option' and then provide a drop down list of numerous options such as CV Yokes, non-CV Yokes, Flange Yokes, etc. I have NO idea which one of those to order, literally.

I've read that when you do a SYE that you can use a front driveshaft from an XJ and it will bolt up fine in place of the old driveshaft so I would like to know what 'Yoke Option' I should order if I want to be able to use a stock XJ front drive shaft.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I just want to make sure I order the right setup!

It's also worth mentioning that I don't intend on doing any heavy off-roading with this Jeep. It might see some light off-roading but nothing serious. I'd rather just have the SYE kit for piece of mind and easier maintenance.

Last edited by PumpinIron; 06-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

4 hrs for a newbie like myself.

Here is a link on how i did mine.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...2/#post1682238
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

At 2.5" of lift, from what I understand you don't need an SYE. Or am I wrong in saying that?

Why are you wanting to add one? You have vibes?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
At 2.5" of lift, from what I understand you don't need an SYE. Or am I wrong in saying that?

It depends.
If he has driveline vibes, yes.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Before spending the money.

Remove the spacers and take it for a stroll. I have 3in lift no drop no sye... no vibes. been wheelin it hard for 4 years. some lift kits just come with 1in spacers i doubt he needed them.

Anytime I have question when i order parts. I call the company to order. if they are helpful and are knowledgeable and can help then it is a good indicator that they will be the same way if you have problems. Give advance adapters a call and let them educate you on what you need for your particular vehicle and t-case if you still want to get a sye.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
Before spending the money.

Remove the spacers and take it for a stroll. I have 3in lift no drop no sye... no vibes. been wheelin it hard for 4 years. some lift kits just come with 1in spacers i doubt he needed them.

Anytime I have question when i order parts. I call the company to order. if they are helpful and are knowledgeable and can help then it is a good indicator that they will be the same way if you have problems. Give advance adapters a call and let them educate you on what you need for your particular vehicle and t-case if you still want to get a sye.
Yeah, it's got 1 inch drop spacers in there now. I'll try removing them, driving the Jeep, and seeing if I get any bad vibrations. If I don't then I'll just skip on a SYE kit.

My thought for getting a SYE kit is that most people seem to say (from what I've read at least) that it's the right way to do a lift regardless.

If I remove them and I do get vibrations then I'll probably just order a SYE kit and talk to the guys at Advance Adapters to see what they recommend. Really I just want to make sure my lift is done the right way, and if having a SYE kit is part of that then so be it.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

No vibrations at all, not a single one. I did a lot of searching and most people seemed to be saying that you should run a SYE kit regardless of how big or small the lift kit is.

The other reason I wanted to add one is because when you're looking at the car in the parking lot the 1 inch spacers that drop the tranny/transfer case are very visible and look pretty ugly if you ask me, lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Spend your money on something else. No need for one w 2.5 inches of lift
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Actually , to each his own.....I had a 2 BB installed in my Cherokee and had vibrations ...Didn't have a TC drop of course but opted for the SYE because of not wanting my TC to shatter if the vibrations got to bad ,,,,Seen it happen to a couple jeeps so far .....Very Messy & very costly !! and I added on to the BB and went to 4.5" front & 5.5" rear and i used a front shaft from a 96 G.Cherokee and it works great....I have a list of shaft possibilities in my pic album on here and it also saves alot of money too.if you have other ?????? just PM me.....Good luck !!!!
here is the link to that list..https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...shafts-sye.jpg

Last edited by 99jeepman; 06-21-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by PumpinIron

No vibrations at all, not a single one. I did a lot of searching and most people seemed to be saying that you should run a SYE kit regardless of how big or small the lift kit is.

The other reason I wanted to add one is because when you're looking at the car in the parking lot the 1 inch spacers that drop the tranny/transfer case are very visible and look pretty ugly if you ask me, lol.
Don't spend the money for an SYE then... At 2.5" of lift, if you have vibes, chances are you have a bad u joint, a worn mount, a bad bearing, etc. So yeah try removing the transfer case drop and see how it feels. it'll only take 4 bolts, a jack and a block of wood to do it.