Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 4in lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Questions about 4in lift

I recently bought a 99 cherokee with a 4in lift. When I bought it the steering gear was shot, all over the road so I replaced it and the steering has more control but it still wanders, sometimes it's bad sometimes it's not. Changed the aluminum spacer to a steel. I've checked the tire pressure and it's all good. I've noticed my steering wheel won't center and it feels like there's a half inch or so of play in the wheel and it feels like it's slipping over a gear in the wheel column or something.. I really don't know much about lifts other than what I've researched lately. Probably shoulda passed on the jeep as I think a kid put it on, so with that being said, after your typical 4in lift what are common parts needing to be replaced?? I noticed the dude had no sway bar/links but does it take a stock sway bar? It's a rough country lift and I've tried finding a sway bar for a 4in lift but I'm not sure where to look.. any info would greatly be appreciated, I love this thing to sell it
Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Yes you can run a stock sway bar. The only thing changing when you lift it is the length of the links. I haven't looked for aftermarket sway bars personally, but I'm sure they are just fine as well. The main thing is you need links for a 4 inch lift, or even make your own. Some people run their jeeps without a sway bar, but it is highly recommended to run with it. I suggest going to a jy and grabbing a stock bar, then order some applicable quick disco links online.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Check for a loose track bar.

-Josh
Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

get a buddy to saw the wheel back and forth just enough to give the tires movement. follow your steering back from the wheels all the way back to the steering column and see where the slop is. also look to see how much the axle is walking side to side under your rig at the same way.