Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default question about headlight conversion

i have seen the commander headlight conversion so was wondering if the liberty headlights can be done too?
thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Having done both the time-tested combo of an H4 conversion involving Autopal e-code housings, a Putco upgraded wiring harness, and Philips Xtreme and Silverstar bulbs, and then later doing a bi-xenon conversion, I personally would never waste my time going back to any headlight "upgrade" that involved normal halogen bulbs. If I'm not mistaken, a Commander or Liberty swap just gives you halogens in differently shaped housings.

While the Autopa/Putco upgrade was much better than stock, it doesn't hold a candle (pun intended) to the bi-xenon conversion I now have. And given that both of the two options I've done are largely plug-and-play, without the need for a lot of cutting or grill mods, I'd stick with them.

In all seriousness, my bi-xenons are terrific! They give me light output on par with the latest headlights found on BMW/Lexus/etc. Nice crisp white light, with a wide spread, and sharp cutoff. I have ZERO regrets on the money I spent for xenons.

I spent about $180 on the Autopal/Putco upgrade, only to spend another $300 a year later on the bi-xenon. Really wish I'd have just done the bi-xenon the first time. Bi-xenon is about 3 times better than the Autopal/Putco combo, and about 10 times better than stock. Also, the bi-xenon bulbs actually pull about 35% less power than stock sealed beams, and 35% to 100% less power than upgraded halogens, but out do them both in terms of usable light output.

Choo-31 has some bi-xenon housings on sale right now for a smokin' price. With a pair of those and then two bulbs, two ballasts, and a relay harness off of Amazon for a total of about $225-$250 (including the housings), you'll be in business. He has a sale thread. Start reading from the link below and give it some serious consideration. I'm the guy with the white XJ that posted pics.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/hi...2/#post2876039
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by macgyver35
Having done both the time-tested combo of an H4 conversion involving Autopal e-code housings, a Putco upgraded wiring harness, and Philips Xtreme and Silverstar bulbs, and then later doing a bi-xenon conversion, I personally would never waste my time going back to any headlight "upgrade" that involved normal halogen bulbs. If I'm not mistaken, a Commander or Liberty swap just gives you halogens in differently shaped housings.

While the Autopa/Putco upgrade was much better than stock, it doesn't hold a candle (pun intended) to the bi-xenon conversion I now have. And given that both of the two options I've done are largely plug-and-play, without the need for a lot of cutting or grill mods, I'd stick with them.

In all seriousness, my bi-xenons are terrific! They give me light output on par with the latest headlights found on BMW/Lexus/etc. Nice crisp white light, with a wide spread, and sharp cutoff. I have ZERO regrets on the money I spent for xenons.

I spent about $180 on the Autopal/Putco upgrade, only to spend another $300 a year later on the bi-xenon. Really wish I'd have just done the bi-xenon the first time. Bi-xenon is about 3 times better than the Autopal/Putco combo, and about 10 times better than stock. Also, the bi-xenon bulbs actually pull about 35% less power than stock sealed beams, and 35% to 100% less power than upgraded halogens, but out do them both in terms of usable light output.

Choo-31 has some bi-xenon housings on sale right now for a smokin' price. With a pair of those and then two bulbs, two ballasts, and a relay harness off of Amazon for a total of about $225-$250 (including the housings), you'll be in business. He has a sale thread. Start reading from the link below and give it some serious consideration. I'm the guy with the white XJ that posted pics.

thanks i appreciate the advice
Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by macgyver35

i keep having trouble with my lights and i think its the daytime running lights module. how do i get rid of that thing