Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

PSC hydro assist Dana 30

Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default PSC hydro assist Dana 30

I have had little to no luck finding a write up or advise for installing a PSC hydro assist kit on a 93 xj Dana 30. I know most people dont keep the Dana 30. I not just attach it to the oem steering stabilizer mount and to my iron rock off-road over the knuckle steering tie rod? I need to replace my gear box as it is worn out, but I don't have the resources to upgrade my front axle at the same time. That is next in maybe a year or so. Anybody have an experience with this?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:12 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Renix

My thoughts are this. If you need to add hydro assist, you want to at least do a couple of upgrades to the dana 30 but it all depends on how you use it. I have my dana 30 upgraded as far as I can get it. Running 35's, this is plenty of axle for me. I beefed up the factory stabilizer mount on the axle and went with a clamp-on mount to my tie rod. works fine, no issues at all after a fair amount of both on road and off road use. I used the redneck steering out of texas.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I agree. Most people upgrade the tie rod and then attach the assist to it. There are kits for clamps for various tie rod sizes. You will probably need to do a little welding for the axle end. Be sure to keep it up out of the way of object that might hit it.