Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's and Cons of having a lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pro's and Cons of having a lift kit?

So here's whats up.
I have a 2001 XJ, 102,000 miles, runs great. Currently has a 1.5" OldmanEmu suspension kit with 31' BFG's. And dont get me wrong, it sits very nice, but I just love the way these XJ's sit with 4.5" of lift and 32's, and I've been pondering buying a kit for it. (Opinions on a kit would be great! I was looking at this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_802.htm)

My Dad on the other hand, is completely against it, not that his opinion matters to me, I mean c'mon, I'm 20! But he says if I lift it any more she'll start burning through suspension parts and gas mileage will get worse and the driveability/ride will go to crap. It already rides a bit on the rough side, because the OME kit stiffened it up.

I honestly don't see how it would burn through parts, I mean yes obviously I would be buying a lot of new parts for the install, but do they run through suspension/drivetrain parts when lifted?

Also, if I get a kit like this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_802.htm
What other parts would I need?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

thats the lift I want! I already asked about it and no one said anything bad about it
you'll need 4 shocks and a SYE for sure
I dont know if you'll burn through parts so much as you'll just break them..
and tires are the main factor in loss of fuel economy, not lift.
and you might lose a little ride quality, but you're giving it up so you can have a whole hell of a lot of fun off road

also, at 31's youre probably not getting great mpg as it is. not gonna see too much difference with 32's or 33's

Last edited by Atmos; 03-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Only reason for burring through parts would be there not quality.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Well I'm going to be honest, I don't do a whole lot of offroading. And when I do, I'm pretty gentle with her (my DD)
So its not like I'll be breaking parts at all.
And yes it does burn through gas like crazy right now, just in time for gas to hit $5/gallon
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

oh then I would do like a 3.5 inch BB lift for $300 or whatever if you're just doing it for 'looks'
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Banned

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l i6

I'm looking at this lift kit myself... I would have to buy upper and lower control arm mounts from claytons website though since it requires it... What about leaf spring shackles? https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...Long-Arm-Lift-
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
oh then I would do like a 3.5 inch BB lift for $300 or whatever if you're just doing it for 'looks'
Not being done for just looks alone. I'm simply saying its not going to be beaten out of its mind. I don't kill it offroad, that's what the 96 beater is for
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
So here's whats up.
I have a 2001 XJ, 102,000 miles, runs great. Currently has a 1.5" OldmanEmu suspension kit with 31' BFG's. And dont get me wrong, it sits very nice, but I just love the way these XJ's sit with 4.5" of lift and 32's, and I've been pondering buying a kit for it. (Opinions on a kit would be great! I was looking at this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_802.htm)

My Dad on the other hand, is completely against it, not that his opinion matters to me, I mean c'mon, I'm 20! But he says if I lift it any more she'll start burning through suspension parts and gas mileage will get worse and the driveability/ride will go to crap. It already rides a bit on the rough side, because the OME kit stiffened it up.

I honestly don't see how it would burn through parts, I mean yes obviously I would be buying a lot of new parts for the install, but do they run through suspension/drivetrain parts when lifted?

Also, if I get a kit like this one http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_802.htm
What other parts would I need?
Since 2001 if have stock front axle still it's lp and not hp when start to lift a lp more feta more vibes because of angle
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

... Gotta say... The ol' man is right... This isn't a one and done type deal. It's ongoing and going and going... Wheelin is kinda expensive. Doesn't mean there isn't other things to be done: Lock the rear, skid plates/bumpers/sliders, winch, various other steering, ignition, exhaust upgrades that are all around functional.. That sorta stuff is always a consideration. If your rig is a WW only it's a lot simpler than if if functions as a WW/DD cause then alignments and u joints and other random stuff will become a regular event... Just my .02 man!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
... Gotta say... The ol' man is right... This isn't a one and done type deal. It's ongoing and going and going... Wheelin is kinda expensive. Doesn't mean there isn't other things to be done: Lock the rear, skid plates/bumpers/sliders, winch, various other steering, ignition, exhaust upgrades that are all around functional.. That sorta stuff is always a consideration. If your rig is a WW only it's a lot simpler than if if functions as a WW/DD cause then alignments and u joints and other random stuff will become a regular event... Just my .02 man!
Yeah he's had quite the share of offroad toys. 89 Toy pickup with an 8", 94 SR5 4 Runner with a 4.5 i believe. He's out of it now. His opinion is that its perfect the way it is (which I wont lie, it is.) Its just the 4.5" looks awesome on these things. And like I said. It'd see dirt and all, but being its my DD. It wouldn't be beaten
Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

Your gas mileage isnt as bad as you think. Your odometer is off with larger tires and racks up miles slower then it should. Im so tired of seeing people say this. You might loose 1-2 mpgs with 31s. Anymore and something else is the cause but first you need to get a proper speedo gear.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM

Year: 1998

There are no Cons
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Burning through parts? Probably from the increased wheeling you'll want to do! Seriously though, like the other guys said, doing "just the lift" will add strain to driveline and suspension components. With a 1.5" lift you probably didn't do anything like an SYE or shims to correct pinion angle. Going up to 4.5" on a 2001 means you'll definitely need to some of this, both front and back (Low Pinion D30 like you said). Properly fitting shocks, extended front anti-sway bar links, and stuff to correct steering geometry will also become a factor.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

You won't "burn" through suspension parts if you install it correctly and maintain it. The most you'll need with a 4.5 inch lift is a new trac bar and an s.y.e. with a front driveshaft to replace your rear shaft. And plus you'll look like a boss. And it's a jeep, I dont think anyone buys one for good gas mileage.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6

IMO don't do anything for looks except keep it clean. I would avoid the lift and concentrate on items of use.

(No Specific Order)
1. Front and Rear Recovery Points
2. Solid Tune Up
3. Rear Locker, Front Locker
4. Header, Exhaust, CAI
5. Winch
6. General Repair items

Quick Reply: Pro's and Cons of having a lift kit?