Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with passenger blinker new trailer kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992 Briarwood
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Problem with passenger blinker new trailer kit

I just installed a new wiring kit in my 92 xj. installation was nice and easy and my drivers side works just fine on the driver side of my boat trailer but im getting nothing out of the passenger side. any ideas? bad fuse? bad wiring harness? I ordered the harness off of etrailers.com and it seems like it's of decent quality.

thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You're saying that your passenger side trailer light isn't working?

Start testing at the plug then work your way back. With the trailer unplugged from the Jeep test each pin on the harness for the correct voltage with the lights on. That will eliminate the Jeep as an issue.

Which kit did you use? A plug-n-play kit?

It's most likely an issue with the trailer wiring...
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by lowrange2
You're saying that your passenger side trailer light isn't working?

Start testing at the plug then work your way back. With the trailer unplugged from the Jeep test each pin on the harness for the correct voltage with the lights on. That will eliminate the Jeep as an issue.

Which kit did you use? A plug-n-play kit?

It's most likely an issue with the trailer wiring...
Yeah it's a plug n play. Unfortunately I don't know much about wiring man. What do you mean by test each pin?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

It's easy and it won't bite you. I promise.

First you need either a volt meter or a test light. In your case a test light would work fine.

You're having issues with the green wire (Right turn)

Do you have brake lights on the right side?

A test light looks like this:

You'll want to clamp the clamp on a good ground. You can clamp it on a bolt or the trailer hitch. Then go turn your turn signal on. Make sure it's blinking on the Jeep and stick the pointy end of the test light in the terminal that corresponds with the green wire on your new harness. If the test light starts blinking like a turn signal then the Jeep is good. Now, go turn the turn signal off, have someone hold the brake pedal down and do the same thing again. The test light should light up solid and hold steady. That means the brake lights are working.

The green wire usually works BOTH the turn and the brake lights on the passenger side.

If the brake lights work but the turn signals don't I'd guess you either have a bad bulb on the trailer, faulty harness or faulty wire on the Jeep. If your turns work correctly on the Jeep then I doubt the Jeep is the problem.

(All this is done on the Jeep. We'll worry about the trailer after you know you have the correct power on your new harness.)

Last edited by Lowrange2; 10-27-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by lowrange2
It's easy and it won't bite you. I promise.

First you need either a volt meter or a test light. In your case a test light would work fine.

You're having issues with the green wire (Right turn)

Do you have brake lights on the right side?

A test light looks like this:

You'll want to clamp the clamp on a good ground. You can clamp it on a bolt or the trailer hitch. Then go turn your turn signal on. Make sure it's blinking on the Jeep and stick the pointy end of the test light in the terminal that corresponds with the green wire on your new harness. If the test light starts blinking like a turn signal then the Jeep is good. Now, go turn the turn signal off, have someone hold the brake pedal down and do the same thing again. The test light should light up solid and hold steady. That means the brake lights are working.

The green wire usually works BOTH the turn and the brake lights on the passenger side.

If the brake lights work but the turn signals don't I'd guess you either have a bad bulb on the trailer, faulty harness or faulty wire on the Jeep. If your turns work correctly on the Jeep then I doubt the Jeep is the problem.

(All this is done on the Jeep. We'll worry about the trailer after you know you have the correct power on your new harness.)
sweet man I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it tomorrow. i will keep ya posted