Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priorities

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.slow
Default Priorities

My DD 2001 XJ is lifted 4". I know there are a few things that I want/ need to make it more capable off road (wheeled on some weekends but not beat) and more comfortable on road (more on road than off). I'd like some input on my parts list priority.

1. Adjustable track bar
2. Sway bar disco
3. SYE
4. Leaf shackle relocate
5. Steering upgrade from zj

From that list (that's in no particular order) where should I start. Budget doesn't allow for everything at once.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1,3,4,2,5.... Are you still running a stock trackbar at 4 inches?... And no driveline vibes either?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99
1,3,4,2,5.... Are you still running a stock trackbar at 4 inches?... And no driveline vibes either?
I relocated the stock track bar, running a t-case drop for the mean time. Only slight vibe during deceleration.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Ok then 31425.... And add motor mounts and trans mounts as 6,7 ... Unless you did them recently.... The tcase drop wears them out and they could prob use a replacing just from being used.....just a thought
Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

1, 5, and most likely 3 are musts and should be installed sooner rather than later.

if you want comfort it's gonna be long arms, shackle relocation, and good shocks

if you want offroad capability it's lockers front and rear, gears, and aggressive 33" tires

everything on your list should be done anyway. leaf spring relocation is really the only "option."
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, I'll add those too. I found a deal for a teraflex SYE locally brand new. Have anything good/bad to say about those?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

never tried the teraflex one. is it the mega short? if it's the mega short you dont want it
other than that, the last product I got from teraflex was shackles. and boy was I disappointed to see that my welds were better than theirs.
here's a good price on an SYE http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...it-87-06-XJ-TJ
Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Not the super short version. I'll have to do some searching and compare. The guy only wants 100 bucks for it.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJGunny
Not the super short version. I'll have to do some searching and compare. The guy only wants 100 bucks for it.
only other product I'm seeing is the SYE for the teralow. hell yeah I'd take that deal. but it can't hurt to call teraflex and see if there's any reason you shouldn't run the kit without the teralow 4:1
just to play it safe

http://www.teraflex.biz/231-short-sh...-cherokee.html
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Seasoned Member

What's the difference between that one and http://www.teraflex.biz/231-short-sh...-wrangler.html ?
They both say it's for the 231j case? I know one says wrangler one say Cherokee. Are the splines or shaft length different?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DD 2001 XJ is lifted 4". I know there are a few things that I want/ need to make it more capable off road (wheeled on some weekends but not beat) and more comfortable on road (more on road than off). I'd like some input on my parts list priority.

1. Adjustable track bar
2. Sway bar disco
3. SYE
4. Leaf shackle relocate
5. Steering upgrade from zj

From that list (that's in no particular order) where should I start. Budget doesn't allow for everything at once.
1. Not necessary.
2. Ditch the swaybars. Not needed in a daily driver
3. Not needed
4. not needed
5. not needed

I know there are a few things that I want/ need to make it more capable off road
I am just focusing on the "need" You can want what ever.

Now none of those things are needed for "capable"

So lets talk capable.

Number one, you have a 4" lift. Do you know if it will flex correctly with the swaybars off? You can't even spell off road until you ditch the swaybars.

Now that they are ditched. Are your tires binding anywhere in your fenderwells when flexed? Because if they are, you are causing poor off road capability in an open wheeled jeep.

Now that you have no binding and you have properly bumped/trimmed. Are your shocks holding your axle from droop? If they are then you need longer shocks. But not so long that they limit your up travel.

Now with your increased travel does your track bar limit your travel? IF so fix it.

Now with all your travel are your brake lines pulling taught anywhere? IF so you need to extend them.

Now once this is all done and your suspension is working properly. We can start talking about more "capable" off road.

A member from this forum went wheeling with me at the rock garden. He runs 33's open and has suspension that actually works. With me spotting he made it through without pulling cable. There was a ruby going through the exact same section. Fully locked and had to pull cable 4 times.

So if you want "capable" Start by not spending a dime and making what you have work properly.

Then we can start spending your money.

All the best.

BTW. My rear is lifted 4". My transfer case and tranny is actually raised a half inch over stock. No drop, no sye, no vibes. I have degree shims on the rear axle. Flat belly with 18" under the flat belly. Stock track bar relocated. Has held up awesome, and I have no death wobble at all.
3" of lift on the front. Very tall 32" tires. No sway bars, locked front rear, 10" bilstiens. Very capable. Daily Driver

Last edited by holycaveman; 01-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I've done everything else, the last things on my list were what I had left to do in my mind. I'm keeping the sway bar for city regardless of if it's "needed" I want it. Discos will allow the flex. Shocks/bumps/fender trim/longer brake lines etc... Are already taken care of. With the t-case drop/shim I have minimal vibes. So I'm looking into SYE.
I the past year I was bouncing around back and forth buying this , that or the other with no real thought out plan. Was wanting an outside, looking in point of view to help setting priority for stuff I feel I need/want.
I appreciate you input though.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

I've done everything else, the last things on my list were what I had left to do in my mind. I'm keeping the sway bar for city regardless of if it's "needed" I want it. Discos will allow the flex. Shocks/bumps/fender trim/longer brake lines etc... Are already taken care of. With the t-case drop/shim I have minimal vibes. So I'm looking into SYE.
I the past year I was bouncing around back and forth buying this , that or the other with no real thought out plan. Was wanting an outside, looking in point of view to help setting priority for stuff I feel I need/want.
I appreciate you input though.
Awesome. So if you have all that done. And you still want to be more capable. I would look into a flat belly and ditching the drop.

Then lockers.

The rest really is just armor and beefing things up.

Sounds like you have a good start going.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Flat belly huh? I'll do some lookin/searching. Sounds like how I like my women, can't go wrong there.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Flat belly huh? I'll do some lookin/searching. Sounds like how I like my women, can't go wrong there.
LOL

Yes sir! Put it this way. A jk ruby came into our 4wd shop. It was on its way to the "jk experience" out in Utah. Running a 4" lift and 37" goodyears. My little xj with 33"s and 3" of lift basocally. Had the same underbelly clearance. Except I have a lot lower center of gravity. A flat belly will net you 2.5" of clearance without raising your jeep.

Unfortunately I have not found a place that sells a kit? So I just made mine. Its pretty easy.

Quick Reply: Priorities