Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polyurethane Bushing Kit install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Polyurethane Bushing Kit install!!!

Hey everyone! I recently bought Energy Suspension's "Hyper-Flex" Master Bushing Kit. I am extremely excited to install them, because lots of my bushings are worn out, and I hope that these will help the suspension perform better both on and off road. (I also think that the red bushings would look cool on my black XJ!!) Beyond these thoughts, I'm lost...the parts seem to be good quality, and it has everything I need except for the sway bar bushings, which I'll also get soon...The installation instructions that came with this are absolutely worthless...they tell you the part number and the name of the bushing. Some of the tiny pages of instructions show a very un-detailed schematic which doesn't help. Can anyone help? Is there anywhere I can get better instructions?? I am a diy kind of guy, but I am still a Jeep newbie I'll admit. If anyone can help me out, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Do you have access to a press?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hunter_hoag_99XJ
Hey everyone! I recently bought Energy Suspension's "Hyper-Flex" Master Bushing Kit. I am extremely excited to install them, because lots of my bushings are worn out, and I hope that these will help the suspension perform better both on and off road. (I also think that the red bushings would look cool on my black XJ!!) Beyond these thoughts, I'm lost...the parts seem to be good quality, and it has everything I need except for the sway bar bushings, which I'll also get soon...The installation instructions that came with this are absolutely worthless...they tell you the part number and the name of the bushing. Some of the tiny pages of instructions show a very un-detailed schematic which doesn't help. Can anyone help? Is there anywhere I can get better instructions?? I am a diy kind of guy, but I am still a Jeep newbie I'll admit. If anyone can help me out, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!!!
Please post pics of the removal and install of new bushings
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM

To Turbo X_J: I dont think I have access to a press, but there is a chance I might be able to use a family member's if any of them have one.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Id highly recommend using one, itd be a shme to tear up brand new bushing beating them in
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Alright, thank you! I will try to find one to use. Do you know of anywhere I could find installation instructions?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by hunter_hoag_99XJ
Alright, thank you! I will try to find one to use. Do you know of anywhere I could find installation instructions?
Your best bet would be to google it. Ive never needed instructions as its pretty straight foward. Maybe sone has a link that can share it here
Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 PM

Year: 1998

I assume this is the kit that uses the factory cans from the old rubber bushings and is basically just polyurethane bits in a box with some pins? If so, shoot me a PM because I've done two of these now and have it down to an 8 hour or less ordeal.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 PM

I think so, look at this and tell me if that's what you're thinking of. And okay, cool, ill pm you!

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=2.18105
Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I used a hole saw on my old bushings leaveing just the shell . Sanded them slighty then used the lube supplied and slid new bushings in. Did one control at a time dought it took 3 hours for all.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
I used a hole saw on my old bushings leaveing just the shell . Sanded them slighty then used the lube supplied and slid new bushings in. Did one control at a time dought it took 3 hours for all.

Why would you leave the outer shell from the old bushing and sand the new ones to fit? Completely remove the old bushing and the new ones should fit just fine.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 AM

Year: 1998

Because these bushing use the old outer shell and slide in where the rubber used to be.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Default Polyurethane Bushing Kit install!!!

Originally Posted by Khyren
Because these bushing use the old outer shell and slide in where the rubber used to be.

You sure about that? The ones I just did came with directions that said to completely remove the old bushing. I just did leaf spring bushings though.

Last edited by JWheeler; 03-21-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JWheeler
You sure about that? The ones I just did came with directions that said to completely remove the old bushing. I just did leaf spring bushings though.

Depends on the kit. The energy suspension kit requires you to leave the shell, and burn out the rubber. Pretty easy peasy. I did the swap to ditch the tiny factory bolts.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com
Depends on the kit. The energy suspension kit requires you to leave the shell, and burn out the rubber. Pretty easy peasy. I did the swap to ditch the tiny factory bolts.

Good to know. You just hit it with a torch to get the rubber out and leave the metal?

Quick Reply: Polyurethane Bushing Kit install!!!