Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

play in trackbar frame end

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default play in trackbar frame end

is this too much play in the track bar frame end? I have the axle end set and it does not move at all, but i noticed this when i was using my phone to check the steering out. I plan on replacing the boot, already ordered poly tre boots, if this is the wrong thing to do no worries it was only $4 for the pair and i can use them to replace the only other 2 remaining tie rod boots that are not new. This is with 4" of lift, stock trackbar in a drilled axle bracket. the play was observed when turning the steering wheel with the engine off. this was recorded after tightening the tre on the track bar frame end, i have video of before tightening the castle nut but the play appears the same. i've tried searching but all i have found is info about the play at the axle end, of which i have none.

and a less close up shot:

Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

you don;t want side to side play at all is what I would think
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you getting a "popping" sound when you turn left at low speeds? If so, this is most likely your culprit.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 AM

How tight did you make the castle nut? I think it should be 75ft-lbs. That thing is moving in and out, as well as side to side! It really looks like your TRE is shot and should be replaced. I cant imagine the boots would fix that
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
How tight did you make the castle nut? I think it should be 75ft-lbs. That thing is moving in and out, as well as side to side! It really looks like your TRE is shot and should be replaced. I cant imagine the boots would fix that
Originally Posted by no rdplz
Are you getting a "popping" sound when you turn left at low speeds? If so, this is most likely your culprit.
yeah but it happens really intermittently usually when i first start it and take off in the mornings, but it does happen, it is torqued to about 110ftlbs, i also get dw real bad, uncontrollably bad. should i just buck up and get the rusty's track bar, or is it really worth it to get the double shear from iro for $50 more? or is the tube hollow on the trackbar like it is on the tie rod? if so can i just hack the tre off and tap threads and put a moog tre or something on there?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That "pop" sound is from the movement it has. Looks like the TRE itself is bad. You could easily replace it. If you do go aftermarket, I'd recommend the IRO double shear.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM

well i guess i'll just save my money for the iro double sheer trackbar, should i go ahead and replace all the bushings and tre boots with poly to help tighten the steering when i do the trackbar? or will it not help that much. I think what fragged the tre on the trackbar was the boot becoming ripped and letting all the grease out.