Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhead console possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Overhead console possibilities

So I went on the hunt for an overhead console for my jeep, and came home with a WJ console and one from an older Caravan. Aside from the wiring mess that I will be undertaking(I decided to go with the Caravan console and harness), I am waiting until its warmed up to do the install

Since its a little too cold to wrench outside, I need a project. I have the harness cleaned up and basically ready to go, but I need some ideas.

I want to use the minivan rear section, but I can't decide what to do with the switch panel. What sort of fun stuff can I wire up to that? Is there anything I can wire up to the momentary switches? Should I make a custom panel for my own switches? What kind of cool things can I do with this panel??
Attached Thumbnails Overhead console possibilities-20150219_191246.jpg   Overhead console possibilities-20150219_191719.jpg   Overhead console possibilities-20150219_191230.jpg   Overhead console possibilities-20150219_191004.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio

I hooked up a row of three switches for my bumper, a pillar, and roof lights.

I really want to find a way to put a small CB radio up there, but every which way i try to put mine up there it just doesn't look right and hogs up a lot of space.

i have yet to upload a picture on these forums...i hope i did it right^^
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CheerioTheXJ
I hooked up a row of three switches for my bumper, a pillar, and roof lights.

I really want to find a way to put a small CB radio up there, but every which way i try to put mine up there it just doesn't look right and hogs up a lot of space.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cherokeeforum.com-vbulletin/540x960/80-11016597_1008433312519205_393287718_n_04eae0543276 21d65f79eb9635c8658610663dae.jpg

i have yet to upload a picture on these forums...i hope i did it right^^
I was thinking something along those lines. I'll have to mock it up and see how far back the switches would sit and see I they would be reasonably usable up there. Worst case, I add some LED lighting in the space and call it a day.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

I used the front of a Caravan that had no electronics (just a dummy plate), and the rear section from a ZJ that had remote key fob dome and rear map lights. Basically its a big blank canvas with no electronics except the lights

I wired up the lights so that all of them come on when the forward lights are grounded, and also set them up so they be manually activated separately.

I pulled a Gentex mirror from a Chevy truck that had temperature and compass displays. The stock temperature sensor works properly with the mirror, and it has a built-in compass sensor. This frees up the forward plate to be used as a CB mount (not done yet--I plan to mount the CB on the floor console and hang the headset on the dummy plate but there is enough room to install a very small unit in the forward section).

I plan to add a remote unlock receiver in the stock location but I haven't made any progress on that front either.

I also plan to install some Carling switches in there somewhere but I haven't done anything there yet either.

Last edited by ehall; 02-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ehall
I used the front of a Caravan that had no electronics (just a dummy plate), and the rear section from a ZJ that had remote key fob dome and rear map lights. Basically its a big blank canvas with no electronics except the lights

http://www.eric-a-hall.com/gallery/albums/cherokee-overhead-console/Headliner_Gap.sized.jpg

I wired up the lights so that all of them come on when the forward lights are grounded, and also set them up so they be manually activated separately.

I pulled a Gentex mirror from a Chevy truck that had temperature and compass displays. The stock temperature sensor works properly with the mirror, and it has a built-in compass sensor. This frees up the forward plate to be used as a CB mount (not done yet--I plan to mount the CB on the floor console and hang the headset on the dummy plate but there is enough room to install a very small unit in the forward section).

http://www.eric-a-hall.com/gallery/albums/cherokee-overhead-console/Gentex_Mirror_Temperature.sized.jpg

I plan to add a remote unlock receiver in the stock location but I haven't made any progress on that front either.

I also plan to install some Carling switches in there somewhere but I haven't done anything there yet either.
I like the gentex mirror, I got really used to it in the 02 Silverado I had before the Jeep. Was there a lot of work involved in running power to it, or was it pretty basic just tapping into the stock harness?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Originally Posted by MurderCityXJ
I like the gentex mirror, I got really used to it in the 02 Silverado I had before the Jeep. Was there a lot of work involved in running power to it, or was it pretty basic just tapping into the stock harness?
My XJ is a Laredo so it had the wiring for the display panel already. I just cut the plug off and ran the gentex wire up to it.