Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Offroad Fog Lights/Driving Lights

I want to put some auxilary lighting on the stock front bumper on my XJ. I found a light bar for it but I might just mount them straight to the bumper itself. I want to use the light to help offroad (I will put KC Highlights on the roof rack later on) and maybe on the road. Would I be better getting the fog lights or the driving lights for the bumper? What actually is the difference between them? Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

The beam pattern is different. Fog lights should be mounted lower. I don't have fogs so I just run long range hellas on my bumper. You want some quality lights go PIAA
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

To expand on the previous reply:

Fog lights are designed for wide angle /short distance light dispersion. They are sold in "white" or "amber" varieties, which white being more common these days, although the amber are actually better in many respects when you are actually in real fog. However, they are used less for fog and more for general lighting, and their wide dispersion pattern helps eliminate "hot spots", or intense but small circles of light. The wide pattern works better for slower vehicle movement in tight quarters, such as when rock crawling or any kind of hill or trail climbing. They light up more of what is to the sides of your vehicle instead of just focusing on what is directly in front.

Driving lights, have a narrower, more focused beam that has a longer "throw" or ability to light objects at a greater distance. They are best used when you need additional lighting while traveling at normal road speeds. When aimed properly, the driving lights' narrow pattern will not blind oncoming traffic like fogs can, and will reach far enough out to help you see objects in the road (debris, deer, dogs, stalled cars, people, etc.) with enough time to safely stop.

Beware of cheap lights from Walmart, Harbor Freight, PepBoys, Autozone, etc. Many of these use the terms "fog light" and "driving light" interchangeably without much real difference in light pattern. The typical 3" x 5" rectangular lights are notorious for this. A good brand (ProComp, Hella, KC, PIAA, etc) will actually use specific reflectors and lenses to achieve a proper dispersion pattern, and they'll have their lights labeled accordingly. Please note that it is ABSOLUTLEY NOT necessary to drop $150 a pair to get good lighting. My ProComp fogs were $20 each and are well built with a proper light pattern. I can't tell any difference between the light quality (or much in the way of truly relevent build quality) of my $20 each ProComps and my boss's $85 each PIAA's. Even he can't see a difference, which pisses him off now that he's spent the money!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L straight 6

i got 2 fog lights at a yard sale for 10 bucks and mounted them into my stock bumper. they are not the brightest but they really fill in the gap of my low beams. both low and to the sides!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Although it may not be "necessary" to spend $150 on a set of aftermarket lights, you get what you pay for.

I've got a set of Pro-Crap lights that I pulled off my rig. The housings didn't hold up to the weather and the lighting was horrendous. I'll post up some pics later.

Next lights will be L.E.D.'s from Rigid Industries.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Although it may not be "necessary" to spend $150 on a set of aftermarket lights, you get what you pay for.

I've got a set of Pro-Crap lights that I pulled off my rig. The housings didn't hold up to the weather and the lighting was horrendous. I'll post up some pics later.

Next lights will be L.E.D.'s from Rigid Industries.

I have taken a look at the Rigid Dually and seem wonderful products.
My idea is put 2 Dually in the bumper to complete my 4 Hella 700FF at the roof.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Brilliant (pun intended)!!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline six

I am upgrading the harness, fixture and bulbs to h4 in the next week. I want to add A-pillar lights next and possibly some 6" round long distance lights under the stinger if that is not enough.

What would you guys suggest for the A-pillars? I sort of like the idea and look of some of the compact LED units. Rigid duallies?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=91913

or

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=90539
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I just picked up a super clean 2000 Cherokee Sport the other day and was looking to put a roof rack wind deflector on it with lights built in. I work in sales for Toyota and know they make it for FJ but does anyone know where to find one for a Cherokee Sport.