Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Skidplates ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default OEM Skidplates ???

I want to install skid plates. At the the same time I am concerned about adding weight. I have been looking at all of the OEM plates, and their not cheap ! For a bit more, I can get new, better ones, aftermarket. The OEM, gas tank skid plate is about 1/3 the cost of a good one. So, I was considering getting a nice one, sandblasting it, and having it powder coated ? My question is, is it worth the effort, tough or strong enough? Not going to be rock crawling. Also how are the other OEM skid plates? My thoughts are that the front skid plate, would be a PITA to work around ? I keep looking at the JCR stuff. I plan on starting with sliders. Anyone know what they weigh ? LMK what you guys are using or suggest.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

The pre '97 gas tank skids are stronger than the newer years. Try to get one of those off craigslist for cheap. They hold up just fine. Sliders you're looking at anything from 45-75lbs a side.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I have the OEM gas tank and transfer case skid plate. They are fairly light and I think they are adequate for mild trails. The biggest problem I've heard of with the OEM transfer case skid plate is that they can get hung up on bigger obstacles when rock crawling. Here's a picture:

OEM Skidplates ???-20180819_203300.jpg

I saw somebody here in one of the build threads welded an additional plate of steel onto the gas tank skid plate, so that's one option.

I have an extra transfer case skid plate that I would be willing to sell, if you're interested...
Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

I plated my oem gas tank skid with 1/8"
Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I use the OEM front skid and its not the easiest to work around but can be removed quickly if need be. Depends on how often you do alignments and grease components. I found it helps with cooling and shields the bottom of the radiator. Keeps the engine bay cleaner with less turbulent air, covers exposed suspension and steering components that introduce drag at highway speeds. This is on 4.5" of lift and 33's with ZJ steering.

Last edited by wrongwheeldrive; 09-20-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by wrongwheeldrive
I use the OEM front skid and its not the easiest to work around but can be removed quickly if need be. Depends on how often you do alignments and grease components. I found it helps with cooling and shields the bottom of the radiator. Keeps the engine bay cleaner with less turbulent air, covers exposed suspension and steering components that introduce drag at highway speeds. This is on 4.5" of lift and 33's with ZJ steering.
how would it help with cooling? Not saying your wrong. But doesnt it force air down? Again, i could be wrong as well, i just dont see how it helps with cooling
Old 09-21-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
You need more stickers!!! That ought a help, if anything hp !!! Looks good !
Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 AM

The pre '97 gas tank skids are stronger than the newer years. Try to get one of those off craigslist for cheap. They hold up just fine. Sliders you're looking at anything from 45-75lbs a side.
Thanks, I'll start hunting !
Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by wrongwheeldrive
I'll probably go this route. I like OEM ! Plus, I'd say that they're lighter ? Wanting save weight for bumpers and sliders. The skids probably won't see that much action on my rig.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:28 AM

I have a 20 gal tank. Any problems fitting the older ones to it ? Any necessary mods ? I've also heard the the ZJ tank skids from 93-98 will also fit with some mods ? One would assume that they would be heavier than the newer ones?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CRLAMBERTJR
I have a 20 gal tank. Any problems fitting the older ones to it ? Any necessary mods ? I've also heard the the ZJ tank skids from 93-98 will also fit with some mods ? One would assume that they would be heavier than the newer ones?
Yeah, heard that, and Transfer skids ... But I'm not sure exactly how to orient/ & mount My ZJ Transfer-Case skid ???-- Anyone have pictures, Drawing, ... - ZJ transfer-case skid on an XJ ? BTW it's a 242
Old 09-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Martlor13
how would it help with cooling? Not saying your wrong. But doesnt it force air down? Again, i could be wrong as well, i just dont see how it helps with cooling
This may be a bit of bro science based on my observations, but i think it prevents turbulent air from entering the lower part of the engine bay and hitting the oil pan, steering and suspension components and such. Resulting in a lower pressure zone behind the radiator which would aid in drawing air through the core at highway speeds. I dont think it can force enough air down to generate any sort of lift (bad aero, lots of ill effects) It acts more as an air dam.

enough aero theory. Its fairly light, offers good protection, totally worth the few bolts on and off for maintenance and such.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Standard is 20 gal. Shouldn't be an issue. The older versions are larger due to being stamped fuel tanks vs the plastic ones the '97+ got. The mounting is all the same.
Also if you want, mail me some stickers haha I'm planning on covering the skid in stickers, makes sliding over rocks faster
Old 09-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Standard is 20 gal. Shouldn't be an issue. The older versions are larger due to being stamped fuel tanks vs the plastic ones the '97+ got. The mounting is all the same.
Also if you want, mail me some stickers haha I'm planning on covering the skid in stickers, makes sliding over rocks faster
I thought that 16 gal was standard ? And by the way ,,, I'm really likin' that Ruff Stuff cover your sportin ' !!! I may just have to git me some o those,,
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

No it's 20. I will say it is quite beef haha hoping to scrape it up. I only wish the bolts they sold with it were recessed. There is plenty of material they could of counter sunk them.

Quick Reply: OEM Skidplates ???