Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise coming from the rear after new lift install

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Noise coming from the rear after new lift install

i purchased a rubicon express 3.5” super ride kit recently. It was used with 1000 miles on it. Since it was installed there is a thud noise in the rear over bumps. Doesn’t always do it but it’s pretty frequent. Every nut and bolt in the back was tightened as much as possible with a breaker bar after it was on the ground. I can’t figure out what it is. Parts that were installed were full rear leafs, shocks, u bolts. The spring perches had to be drilled out to accept the bigger diameter center pin nut on the leafs. As I said every nut and bolt was triple checked and tightened as much as possible. Still has this noise. Sounds like something is loose when you hit bumps. Cant figure it out at all. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Also rear sway bar was removed.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Check to see if the rear shackle is hitting the bumper mounting bolts.

You can back the bolts out some and take a ride and see if it still makes the noise, if it does, look elsewhere, if it doesn't, remove them, cut them short, and reinstall.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Check to see if the rear shackle is hitting the bumper mounting bolts.

You can back the bolts out some and take a ride and see if it still makes the noise, if it does, look elsewhere, if it doesn't, remove them, cut them short, and reinstall.
Yeah I’ve heard of the bumper bolt issue. It seems the shackle is too far from it to hit it and I feel like if it was hitting it would show a mark on the bolt or the shackle. But I’ll probably just cut them off and see if it goes away. After doing a little digging I’m thinking also maybe also some bar pin eliminators may fix the issue? If I grab the shock and shake the sh** out of it, it doesn’t move or clunk but maybe it does with the quick jarring force of a bump hitting the suspension. Also no matter what I do for shaking the Jeep in the driveway I can’t recreate the sound. Doesn’t matter if I jump up and down on the back or push side to side. It’s dead quiet. Only does it while driving
Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Lol threads for issues front and rear? Dang man sorry hahah
Old 03-25-2018, 04:46 PM

The noise really sounds like it’s the upper shock mount. I had someone drive while I sat in the back and it sounds like something is thudding right up against the floor in the middle of the rear wheel well. Which is right where the upper part of the shock mounts. I’m thinking bar pin eliminators.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have the same sound in 93 XJ after I put in a 2" life It only will do it on a sharp bump I did the same thing and checked every thing. I have come to the conclusion that my stock shocks are at there limit. So you mite want to look into that. I am going to go with longer shocks when I get the chance.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris !
I have the same sound in 93 XJ after I put in a 2" life It only will do it on a sharp bump I did the same thing and checked every thing. I have come to the conclusion that my stock shocks are at there limit. So you mite want to look into that. I am going to go with longer shocks when I get the chance.
I’m using the shocks that were supplied with the kit. They should be plenty long enough for the lift considering they came with the kit. I appreciate the response though.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

following. I installed a OME 3.5", its got about 4k on the lift and I have a knock in the rear too- it comes and goes. its like a thud/knock when I make turns- I removed the swaybar thinking it was the culprit but not the case. only happens when I make right hand turns, hear a pop/knock/thud noise that I suspect is the upper shock mount but when I was under there last I thought everything was tight. only things I haven't went back over is the ubolts and the spring bolts on the body. the rear shackle/leaf bolts I retorqued to factory spec
Old 03-29-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
following. I installed a OME 3.5", its got about 4k on the lift and I have a knock in the rear too- it comes and goes. its like a thud/knock when I make turns- I removed the swaybar thinking it was the culprit but not the case. only happens when I make right hand turns, hear a pop/knock/thud noise that I suspect is the upper shock mount but when I was under there last I thought everything was tight. only things I haven't went back over is the ubolts and the spring bolts on the body. the rear shackle/leaf bolts I retorqued to factory spec
I’ve triple checked every nut and bolt in the back. Everything is right as can be. I ordered bar pin eliminators which should be here today, hopefully that cures the noise. If not I have absolutely no clue what it could be
Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 99xjjunky

I’ve triple checked every nut and bolt in the back. Everything is right as can be. I ordered bar pin eliminators which should be here today, hopefully that cures the noise. If not I have absolutely no clue what it could be

id be interested to see if that cures it. i want to say its the shocks, but i cant see them making that much noise shifting back and forth. sounds like something binding/unloading but like you- i have no clue what else it could be.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
id be interested to see if that cures it. i want to say its the shocks, but i cant see them making that much noise shifting back and forth. sounds like something binding/unloading but like you- i have no clue what else it could be.
I had my gf drive while I messed around in the back listening. Whatever the noise is it’s right in the top shock mount location and sounds like it hits right against the floor. It’s in the middle of the wheel well and sounds so close to the floor I can’t imagine it being anything else.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 99xjjunky

I had my gf drive while I messed around in the back listening. Whatever the noise is it’s right in the top shock mount location and sounds like it hits right against the floor. It’s in the middle of the wheel well and sounds so close to the floor I can’t imagine it being anything else.

I don't run a spare so I thought it was my spare mount slamming around, or my craftsmen tool kit, hell even the jack under the rear seat- not a single damn one. idk about you but I can feel it hit the floor- I thought my seat was loose to be honest that's how close the noise sounds. but I know its def in the rear suspension
Old 03-30-2018, 06:34 AM

As an update. I ordered jks bar pin eliminators. I was able to install one side perfect and the other side went to sh** and I was only able to get one in and the other must have cross threaded. But the side where the noise was is where I was able to get both in and I’m pleased to say that it was a quiet ride home. I ordered rough country bar pin flange nuts and once they are here I will get the proper hardware to use them with the jks eliminators
Old 03-30-2018, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

So it ended up being the upper mount of the shocks?

Quick Reply: Noise coming from the rear after new lift install