Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No amp output when engine running...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation No amp output when engine running...?

Hey this is my first post on my new account, I've had trouble recovering my old one.

So I bought a small 60w pyle amplifier to use with my PA system and for some reason it won't output anything when my engine is running, but the amp LEDs still light up. However, the amp works perfectly with great output when the engine is off. I've troubleshooted this to the best of my ability and so now I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas. Here's the info I have:

The amp works perfectly when the engine is off.
The amp still appears to power up, the LEDs still light up, when the engine is on.
I've wired to both fuse tap and directly to battery, same result.
I've measured the running voltage to be slightly over 12V (12.2?) while the not-running voltage is slightly below 12V (11.95?) but I have no way of measuring the amperage.
I've tried to measure the audio output with both my ear and a multi meter and in both cases still get not amp output when the engine is on.

I don't know what else I can try, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

What are you running to this amp? Your CB PA?

I would try a different amp. Pyle is just that... a pile of junk.

If you run B+ straight to the battery, the switched wire to a switched positive wire (like the radio) and make a good ground there is no way possible that the engine would have anything to do with it.

Sounds more like you have it hooked to something strange.

Run the remote power wire straight to the B+ wire to eliminate the switched power.

Then test input.

Report back.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by lowrange2
What are you running to this amp? Your CB PA?

I would try a different amp. Pyle is just that... a pile of junk.

If you run B+ straight to the battery, the switched wire to a switched positive wire (like the radio) and make a good ground there is no way possible that the engine would have anything to do with it.

Sounds more like you have it hooked to something strange.

Run the remote power wire straight to the B+ wire to eliminate the switched power.

Then test input.

Report back.

I'm inputting a 4-pin CB mic rewired to fit the mono mic input on the back of the amp. The attachment shows it mounted in the center console, the amp is in the glove box.

I have the positive wired directly through the firewall to the positive terminal on the battery and its grounded to the frame. Are you suggesting I ground the amp more directly?
Attached Thumbnails No amp output when engine running...?-2013-01-28-18.17.15.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

He is suggesting you run the remote wire to a switch that is wired straight to the battery.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by dvdavidvgt
I'm inputting a 4-pin CB mic rewired to fit the mono mic input on the back of the amp. The attachment shows it mounted in the center console, the amp is in the glove box.

I have the positive wired directly through the firewall to the positive terminal on the battery and its grounded to the frame. Are you suggesting I ground the amp more directly?
I'm saying temporarily bypass the switched power to see if it's the amp or a connection.

Run the small remote wire directly to the positive wire on the amp. That verifies that the amp has power all the time and shouldn't have anything to do with the engine or ignition switch...

The only thing I can think of is that the amp is malfunctioning at different voltage ranges.

Just curious, what do you use a PA for?

Last edited by Lowrange2; 02-12-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
He is suggesting you run the remote wire to a switch that is wired straight to the battery.
As far as I know there is no remote wire for the amp. Just a barrel type power input that specifies 12V @ 2A. There is a switch on the front of the amp for turning on and off.

This is the amp I'm working with:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA200-Wa.../dp/B0071HZ5EQ
I'd prefer not to have to get another if possible.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by lowrange2
Just curious, what do you use a PA for?
Oddly enough I use it mostly in actual public address situations rather than yelling at people on the highway. A common one is addressing the entire pledge class of my fraternity before they're about to be driven to various rituals.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Anyone have any other ideas?