Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice Add a Leaf!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Nice Add a Leaf!!!!!

Guys. Has anyone ever used the Old Man Emu add a leafs???

https://www.morris4x4center.com/old-...-omed22xl.html

I need an extra inch, inch and a half in the rear- I'm at 1.5 over stock in the rear now, ordering some Rusty's 3 in coils for the front now, not going the shackle route..

Anyone used these?? $30 each...doesn't seem bad at all...
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Instead of an add-a-leaf which will eventually sag anyway and will make the rear ride stiffer, why not go with a shackle relocation kit ?

It will add 1-1.5", and you can use a slightly longer shackle to get the last little bit of lift you want, and it will make the rear ride much nicer than it does now.

it is more $$ tho.......
Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Usually any AAL is just a Band-Aid and not a way for a lift with old leafs usually sag in short order..
Old 08-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks TRCM, checking some out now. They're like $130 plus new shackles, the cost is what's killing me. And, I'm willing to bet the welded nuts will either snap or strip out during the process. They didn't feel like they hold up much longer when I put the packs in. That being said, I think I can access them through the rusted out spots in the trunk floor though. Planning to leave access to them, and the hitch bolts when I put a new piece of steel back there. Man. It's always something. But I know it's best to do it right once, rather than having to get back at it when the @#$% doesn't work out.

Do you run the relocation brackets?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks Fred,

Leafs are in really good shape, I've had them on for maybe 2 years. No sag, doesn't even squat until I've got about 500lbs in the back. I'm Just looking to come up an inch or so to level out the 3 in coils after I get them in.

3 inches up front, 2.5 in back, should set me at the stock rake, but up a few inches. Right?
Trying to keep it as simple as I can. 3 inch coils, 16 in. lower control arms, adjustable track bar, 2.5-2.75 in back.

Do think the leafs will be more prone to sagging if I added an extra leaf to a good pack?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1997

i did my aal in 2014 i believe. ive since put 60k+\- miles on them. no sagging. i added them to the stock leaves that were sagging pretty bad at the time. ive carried 100+ lbs in the hatch since day 1. they def make it ride rougher. i would not do it again. i wouldn't have done it the first time if i didn't do it so cheap. i had $70 in the aals and pucks, all new parts and hardware. i will say they do a great job of handling weight. ive towed cars, hauled engines/trans, bathroom tile pretty much everything and it did not skip a beat.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:24 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 771 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by s346k
i did my aal in 2014 i believe. ive since put 60k+\- miles on them. no sagging. i added them to the stock leaves that were sagging pretty bad at the time. ive carried 100+ lbs in the hatch since day 1. they def make it ride rougher. i would not do it again. i wouldn't have done it the first time if i didn't do it so cheap. i had $70 in the aals and pucks, all new parts and hardware. i will say they do a great job of handling weight. ive towed cars, hauled engines/trans, bathroom tile pretty much everything and it did not skip a beat.
I'm glad you posted this, as it is a prime scenario of what AAL's get you...yes, it adds some lift. At a cost. The ride. Rough. No surprise it handles the extra weight, but if it's stiff enough, weight only helps, haha

OP...if you want a nice, smooth ride, go with new leaf packs that suit your desired height. Forget shackles and relocaters, unless you need to change the shackle angle. Yes it will cost more. As previously stated, AAL's are a band aid, that just mask a problem that's already there. Plus, if you get an AAL, then shackles, or a relocation system to get it where you want, guess what, you could of just gotten the right leaf packs for probably less.

Look at ALL your options first, then decide. An educated decision is never a bad one...
Old 08-19-2017, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1997

i wanted the increased ride stability and ability to haul stuff without literally stuffing the tires and rubbing. i did not do it for the lift, to be 100% honest. i'm an inherent cheap *** and constantly use the xj at or beyond its intended capacities. i took the advice of a good friend (sigh) haha but if i did it over id have a custom leaf made for my intentions. i had to drop the trans xmember to rid the jeep of vibes, which i did myself simply using longer bolts and some large nuts i had laying around.

all in all it was a cheap fix that wasn't terribly difficult to do. it serves its purpose at the cost of ride quality. not a lot, but it's noticeable. i told myself i'm not changing anything until it sags again, bc the internet said it wouldn't last 6 months. well here i am 3 years/several 10-thousand miles later....still overworking it and still waiting on them to fail...

edit: they are rancho AALs that added 2-2.5" of lift. id rather only have 1-1.5" so i can lose the xmember drop. i love the way it looks but function>form 24-7/365.

Last edited by s346k; 08-19-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by DurtyGirl91
Guys. Has anyone ever used the Old Man Emu add a leafs???

https://www.morris4x4center.com/old-...-omed22xl.html

I need an extra inch, inch and a half in the rear- I'm at 1.5 over stock in the rear now, ordering some Rusty's 3 in coils for the front now, not going the shackle route..

Anyone used these?? $30 each...doesn't seem bad at all...
I've looked into these AALs as well. Normally I wouldn't ever consider an AAL, for all the reasons posted above. I installed some Crown HD leafs last fall and they are already starting to sag. So since my leafs are less than a year old, I was considering an AAL to try and beef up my leaf pack, basically making it a bastard pack. In theory, since these are made by OME which is known for their ride quality, they wouldn't ride too harsh. I have not been able to find any reviews on these AALs though.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by DurtyGirl91
Thanks TRCM, checking some out now. They're like $130 plus new shackles, the cost is what's killing me. And, I'm willing to bet the welded nuts will either snap or strip out during the process. They didn't feel like they hold up much longer when I put the packs in. That being said, I think I can access them through the rusted out spots in the trunk floor though. Planning to leave access to them, and the hitch bolts when I put a new piece of steel back there. Man. It's always something. But I know it's best to do it right once, rather than having to get back at it when the @#$% doesn't work out.

Do you run the relocation brackets?
No, I don't.

I just tried to put them on-literally 4 days ago-but due to some repairs I had to make to my frame & shackle boxes (busted weldnuts in the frame), the kit I had won't work.

When I rebuilt the shackle boxes, I noticed there was a good bit of slop in the box, so I got rid of that with my repair....and lo & behold, I needed it to be able to line up the bolt holes with the relocation kit I had.

So, I may try a different kit in the future, or I may just go with no lift brackets....or maybe even the IRO rear 4 link kit.

I am looking for 5"-6" of lift with a very nice ride, which I have now with my control arm drop brackets up front, but my current shackles angle makes the rear ride like a covered wagon.

Last edited by TRCM; 08-19-2017 at 11:43 PM.