Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New vibrations after new leaf springs and shackle relocation kit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New vibrations after new leaf springs and shackle relocation kit.

i need to ask you guys and gals what the best approch is to finding driveline vibrations. Just upgraded saggy leaf springs and a shackle relocation kit in the rear. It originally had a 3in rough country lift, the rear started sagging from shot leaf springs. Now the rear is about 2.5 to 3in higher in the rear. So the total lift is 6 rear and almost 4 in the front.

I have major driveleine vibes after 30kmpg (20~mph) and it then upon releasing the gas pedal, it sounds like a clunking noise based off of my speed. I looked at my rear driveshaft angles and the pinion angle is perfectly paralled but the transfer case is at 4 or 5 degrees.

I guess what im asking is for any pointers on people who have made their own budget lift and found vibes after their work.

I thought that a SYE, new rear driveshaft with CV, or transfer case drop as last resort...

Thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by josh565
i need to ask you guys and gals what the best approch is to finding driveline vibrations. Just upgraded saggy leaf springs and a shackle relocation kit in the rear. It originally had a 3in rough country lift, the rear started sagging from shot leaf springs. Now the rear is about 2.5 to 3in higher in the rear. So the total lift is 6 rear and almost 4 in the front.

I have major driveleine vibes after 30kmpg (20~mph) and it then upon releasing the gas pedal, it sounds like a clunking noise based off of my speed. I looked at my rear driveshaft angles and the pinion angle is perfectly paralled but the transfer case is at 4 or 5 degrees.

I guess what im asking is for any pointers on people who have made their own budget lift and found vibes after their work.

I thought that a SYE, new rear driveshaft with CV, or transfer case drop as last resort...

Thanks in advance
at your height you need an sye and new shaft. Nothing else will help.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

don't forget shims for the rear axle too.....
Old 10-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So rear driveshaft and SYE, i have no idea where or what to look at for a driveshaft.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by josh565
So rear driveshaft and SYE, i have no idea where or what to look at for a driveshaft.

Any help is much appreciated.
Contact Adams driveshafts or tom woods driveshafts, and they will explain to you where to measure to custom make one for you.... But you need an sye first