Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here just lookin for some input

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new here just lookin for some input

i bought this 01 extremly clean yellow xj about a yr ago. 108000 easy miles by older outdoors couple, when i bought back seat had never been sat in! It had bds 2.5 eco lift with 2 inch coil spacers 31 bfgs ats that were on it worn alittle on outside, just thought need front alignment. got home couple days later hit a bump and death wobble,had it for alignment and tires rotated made it worse, get up to 40 and go right into bad shake/wobble, went back and they rotated tires back the way they were and said tires/ trackbar, so left bought track bar and replaced ,still shaking, went back next day and they looked at again after more death wobble(the kind were u pull over) they said streering stabalizer, and re aligned again this time with better results but still not right. i did some research and changed steering stabalizer and put drop pitman arm on and new yoko geolanger mts and had aligned again at a diffrent shop and no more death wobble, it has been 8,000 miles since death wobble, but just recently had to get tires replaced because of materal flaw(cracking) loved the tires and were wearing perfect,but they couldnt find another set, so they gave some new hancook mts for exchange. these tires ride little smoother and now around 40 mph get some shaking in steering wheel till 45 and goes away. Does it slowing down or speeding up, but no death wobble and i live on a rough road so it would show its self like before my changes. dont know if the shaking was there with yokos and i just coulndt feel it because of the diffrence in ride between two tires or not. i have these tires on for 2,000 miles with only shaking, and no death wobble? Is it because my stock control arms are two short? i am wanting to put a 6.5 long arm kit and run 33s.to be more capable on trail will this help with my ride by pushing my front back out where it needs to be? This is my daily driver(3kids in it) so i want drivablity, but want it to be able hold its own on trail i was looking at rough countrys new lift but its still new? want to get best bang for buck. please any info would be great, also am i thinking in the right direction. thanks oh one more thing i also put a two inch block in back to get rid of saggy a$$, i know i need sye and loner drive shaft starting to get a little grouwl when let of gas at higher speeds some time s(50-60mph). cant seem to pin point, u joints are tight, took front drive shaft out still does it on and off , rear pinion or jusr vibration or ? thanks again

Last edited by the short bus; 06-17-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Well I have a 01 and when I got it had a 3'' BB and did all the things you say yours does ... 1st thing get yourself some full leaf packs for the rear .. blocks are not a good thing for you Jeep just use the search button to see .. 2nd I did a t-case drop till I can get a sye and that stopped the sound when you let off the gas..3rd I did everything to stop the 44-47mph shake and it came down to the front shocks being bad but it could be a lot of things