Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to building Jeeps, I'm noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile New to building Jeeps, I'm noob

Hi, I'm new here, although I apparently joined back in 2012, I have a few questions if anyone can help me out that would be great.

I'm getting an XJ soon and I want to lift it for some off roading that I plan to do in the near future. I just moved to Columbia TN, and apparently there's off road parks near me and I would like to take advantage of that. I've had XJ's in the past but I never done anything to them. I would like to change that get myself into some DIY builds of my Jeep. Only problem is I have no idea what to do, nor do I have tools or a suitable garage to do it in. If anyone would like to help me out with that that would be great. Anyway, I've been going though some ideas as what would I would like, but I don't know if it would be good for me at this present time. I'm looking for a LCOG build maybe a 3" lift and 33's. This Jeep will be a mostly DD vehicle but whenever I can and time permits it I will do off roading. I'm thinking a MT but not to aggressive of an MT something like the GY W MTR-K, Micky Thompson MTZ, Cooper STT, something along those lines.

I am currently looking at a lift that is 3" its a BDS 3" lift, I know that I want full leafs and coil springs, but I don't know what else is necessary to finish the lift. Do I need an Adj. Track bar, Steering Stabilizer, Aftermarket Adj/Fixed Upper control arms and lower, Sway Bar Disconnects, Front and rear brake lines, I'm not sure.

If someone could suggest a better lift for the price that would be great. Because its a DD I imagine that above all else I would want ride quality over off road performance, But since I also live in a Off Road friendly state I would also like to have as much fun off the road as I do on the road.

This is the lift I was thinking of BDS-Suspension XJ 3" Lift Now that I look at it, it has some options to customize the lift kit, Is any extra parts needed to make this work? Or anything to make the lift better?

I was looking around for lift kits in my size and I found this hybrid lift kit by DPG Off Road 3.5 HD Ultimate XJ Old Man Emu Hybrid Kit. I checked around on various sites and I've only found that OME only makes 1-2.5" Lifts for Jeeps. I'm guessing that the Hybrid is referring to Springs + Spaces, and Leafs + Blocks. Unless I am wrong then someone correct me. I also read that OME apparently has one of the best ride quality's that would be good for me considering that its a DD and a "whenever I can wheeler".

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: l6

You can make a great little rig , I'd deff do a long arm lift , you'll wish you would have down the road, there's a few companies like rough country, rock crawler, rubicon express, TNT, iron rock offroad, bds ect. For break lines your rear should be fine at only 3" I ran a stock one on 4.5, the front I got Chevy 1500 brake lines from a 1995 2wd , I have the part numbers too if you'd like, they are way longer then stock, a adj track bar isn't necessary but it might be good to have, a steering stabilizer might mask a little problem if you have a wobble while driving or what not, I personally don't run sway bars front or rear, , the rear is pointless , but the front you can make your own quick disconnects for prob $2

Last edited by TheCK4x4; 06-25-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM

What do rear sway bars do? I don't think I need a long arm, not for what I want to do. Plus I think that it my be to advanced for me a true novice wheeler.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Restruction
What do rear sway bars do? I don't think I need a long arm, not for what I want to do. Plus I think that it my be to advanced for me a true novice wheeler.
The rear sway bar is good for the scrap pile lol
It really does not do much of anything.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Ah okay, Good to know.

Does anyone know if its possible to fit 32x11.50R15 on 3.5" lift without trimming the fenders? Also wheres a good place to find wheel and tire packages.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: l6

Ah okay, Good to know.

Does anyone know if its possible to fit 32x11.50R15 on 3.5" lift without trimming the fenders? Also wheres a good place to find wheel and tire packages.
Yeah they should fit fine , prob rubbing on the trails though, and for wheel and tires check out 4 wheel parts
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Ah okay, Good to know.

I currently have 32x11.50r15 on 3.5" RE Extreme duty coils up front plus 3/4" spacers. They rub when i turn the wheel all way. Bout to trim these fenders. Im sitting at 4" of lift approximately. Regardless of flexing you need to trim.
Attached Thumbnails New to building Jeeps, I'm noob-forumrunner_20130625_122601.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 PM

If trimming is needed, then I guess I'll stick with 31's for now.

Anyone using or have used or know someone who have used these lift kits?

DPG Off Road 3.5 HD Ultimate XJ Old Man Emu Hybrid Kit

BDS-Suspension XJ 3" Lift

The BDS is about the same price when you add the full leaf packs.