Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Brakes and 100k Tune up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default New Brakes and 100k Tune up!

Hey All -

It's that time, I've just crossed 100k on my 2001 Cherokee. I'm noticing a few issues with the Jeep and plan to take it to a local shop for some work. I have a few questions:

1) I've lifted my jeep 4.5", put new tires and wheels (33"), and replaced both front and rear bumpers. I did all the work myself, but I'm new to working on vehicles so I could have done something wrong, where would you take a jeep in the Seattle, WA area to have it checked out? Would you go to a Mopar/jeep dealership?

2) Now that I've crossed 100K, what needs to be done on my jeep? Is there a tune up/maintenance schedule for a 2001 Cherokee I can find online?

3) I'm having a lot of problems with my brakes squeaking and whatnot, if I get new brakes what should I get and how much does that cost?

4) Not sure if this is related to the brakes, but I feel it is since I only notice it when I'm slowing down/braking - but when the car comes to a slow I hear a thumb that sounds like it happens every rotation (like the brake is slipping) and it's coming from the back... I know that is very vague and there could be a lot of things that cause this - but what might it be and what should I expect a mechanic to say is the cause?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Tune up: spark plugs and wires, change of fluids, air filter, adjust kickdown cable, clean throttle body.

Brakes: the squeaking is due to low pads.. Go through the brakes completely. Get drums, shoes, hardware, disc get all new calipers and pads. It's always smart to completely replace brakes especially if it's never been done.

As for someone looking at your suspension.. I don't think a dealership would like to do it being it's not stock. Your best bet is find a good local shop that has good reviews