Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Suggests what to do first...Just bought a jeep

Old 04-06-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Suggests what to do first...Just bought a jeep

Just bought my son a modified 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport...He will be 16 in May 2017..
Hugh Learning curve...All info appreciated...What suggestions to do to vechile 1st...Steering wheel not original no air bag...Should I buy an original steering wheel with air bag? Thank you...
Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

First thing to do is assess the vehicle's current condition. If you are not familiar with Jeeps and their common issues, I would suggest you get a good mechanic to look it over. There are many knowledgable members on this board who are in Florida. A lifted Cherokee can get real squirrelly quick if it wasn't lifted correctly. The steering wheel changed out for a non-airbag wheel has me concerned on what other questionable mods have been made to the vehicle.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I know hindsight is 20/20 but there is no way I'd trust a new driver with a modded xj. They're already glitchy anyway. Mods add to the glitchiness. If lifted that adds a whole 'nother level of driving challenges.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 AM

Year: 2000

first thing to do it make sure its safe and reliable.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

I imagine you'd need a steering wheel with airbag to pass inspection so you probably want that, if you can't find a wheel and bag from a regular cherokee one from a 99-01 Grand Cherokee will work too.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

tune-up, fluids flush, change out that steering to a zj steering. ball joints, hub bearings, and shocks. Once he gets used to driving it (12-18 months) then begin the upgrades. I would look into that steering wheel issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrawnyDog
I know hindsight is 20/20 but there is no way I'd trust a new driver with a modded xj. They're already glitchy anyway. Mods add to the glitchiness. If lifted that adds a whole 'nother level of driving challenges.
I disagree with that statement. My 90 is lifted 5" on 33s. It doesn't corner like my Z28, but it does well. If lifted properly, it will handle well. I think a lifted Jeep is a better choice than a small car as visibility is much better from the higher vantage point. Jeeps also encourage slow driving while zippy little cars encourage driving too fast.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I disagree with that statement. My 90 is lifted 5" on 33s. It doesn't corner like my Z28, but it does well. If lifted properly, it will handle well. I think a lifted Jeep is a better choice than a small car as visibility is much better from the higher vantage point. Jeeps also encourage slow driving while zippy little cars encourage driving too fast.
I can agree with this. My first vehicle was a 71 F100 with 302V8. Light weight, very squirrelly and no power steering or brakes. I learned to drive very well before upgrading to a Mustang later on. Much better to learn on something that handles poorly then move to something like a sports car than the other way around.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Agreed,
Learning on something that is inherently less stable and "under-preforming" compared to most cars out there (under-performing in the braking, turning, and accelerating departments), will teach a newer driver to drive well within the limits - and will teach them the physics of driving first hand.

Every time I see a teenage driver in a sporty car tailgating a large truck they cant see around, or hauling *** around city streets, etc - all I can think of is "DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND HOW PHYSICS WORKS??!?!?"
Old 04-06-2017, 07:39 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by jedijeb
I can agree with this. My first vehicle was a 71 F100 with 302V8. Light weight, very squirrelly and no power steering or brakes. I learned to drive very well before upgrading to a Mustang later on. Much better to learn on something that handles poorly then move to something like a sports car than the other way around.
I have not given the young man enough credit. I'll concede that a lifted truck is not the most dangerous vehicle on the road by a long sight.
Besides, working on it (as you know they're going to have to do) will be a good time to bond. I have very fond memories of helping my dad do stuff.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

I have not given the young man enough credit. I'll concede that a lifted truck is not the most dangerous vehicle on the road by a long sight.
Besides, working on it (as you know they're going to have to do) will be a good time to bond. I have very fond memories of helping my dad do stuff.
Yup, I got that first truck when my Dad pointed at it and told me "If you can make it run, you can have it". Talk about motivating a 16 year old! Helped a lot that my Dad is a mechanic and I spent a lot of time visiting other family members gathering spare parts to rebuild the engine
Old 04-07-2017, 03:29 AM

First thing to do is assess the vehicle's current condition. If you are not familiar with Jeeps and their common issues, I would suggest you get a good mechanic to look it over. There are many knowledgable members on this board who are in Florida. A lifted Cherokee can get real squirrelly quick if it wasn't lifted correctly. The steering wheel changed out for a non-airbag wheel has me concerned on what other questionable mods have been made to the vehicle.
Thank u...How do I find mechanic in Pace Florida 32571? Reference to this board knowable mechanic...
Old 04-07-2017, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
Agree...Hugh Learning curve
Old 04-07-2017, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
very concerned mother here...
Old 04-07-2017, 03:34 AM

Exactly

Search this Thread