Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to soften suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need to soften suspension

My 95 XJ has a 3.5 inch Rubicon Express lift and Bilstein 5100 shocks, and the ride, particularly at relatively high speed over rough terrain, is punishing. It's stiff, like, so stiff that I reconnected the swaybar when I realized my articulation didn't change by removing it.

The problem I think, is that at this level of lift, RE kind of expects you to have things like upgraded bumpers and heavier spare tires and lots of equipment, but I don't have those things, and to make the problem worse, I've actually removed several things, like most of the interior, and all of the doors, and the rear hatch glass.

What do I need to do to soften this thing up? Long arms are definitely in my future, but that doesn't solve the root compression rate problem. Do I need to replace my shocks, my springs, or both? Any suggestions on parts, assuming a lightened Cherokee and lots of driving too fast over rough terrain?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Well I feel the first question is, how much money $$$$ are you willing to spend to fix the issue?
Shocks with different valving and springs with different spring rates need to be installed.
I have some super soft coils upfront and I love them.

I think a worthwhile upgrade for your front would be a set of PAC progressive rate coils with a softer spring rate, about $200 ish, not too bad.
http://www.jegs.com/p/PAC-Racing-Spr...46792/10002/-1

Leafs, well there isn't many options for jeep speed that I am personally aware of.
Deaver spring comes to mind.
http://fierceoffroad.com/deaver-susp...1-cherokee-xj/

I don't think Rusty still produces them, but I haven't spoken with anyone about this so I really don't know.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...rear-pair.html

Perhaps give them a call but Deaver will probably suite you better.
It's a little co$tly though.

Shocks will be somewhat of a custom order.
Or there may be some off the shelf pre set options that I'm not aware of.
If I were in your situation, I'd sell the entire RE kit and start over.

Last edited by Constantine; 12-26-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I agree. Some coin is needed. The xj doesn't have to many aftermarket support for those looking to turn it into a trophy truck haha.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Those progressive front springs are a great idea! I wonder how I could determine what my best spring rate would be, for my weight and application. I suppose PAC could probably help out there.

I'm in this Jeep for the long haul, but I'm crazy poor, so my budget is mostly a matter of time and patience. But it's good to know where I'm going. Maybe it takes me a year to save up for a set of Deavers (which I've been eyeing for a while), but at least I can be prepping during that time, and almost everything can be done a little bit at a time. (****, it takes me so long to get one thing installed that I've saved for the next thing by the time I get it done and troubleshooted.) It's good to know those Rusty's rear springs at least existed; I'll check with them.

It's probably going to be worth my while to upgrade to remote reservoir shocks with adjustable rates at some point, right? Or at least with a fixed rate that works for my application? Any suggestions on brand or model? My Bilsteins seem fine, they're just not meant for what I'm doing with them, and it's getting on time to find something else.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I understand being on a tight budget.
I work two careers, a 12 hour swing shift then do dirt work on the side, have 3 children, one of which I pay mom support on, throw in a place to live and two daily drivers plus the dreaded grocery bill and it leaves little for the XJ.
Thank the Lord I have health insurance through my employer.

If you're on a budget then start with the progressive coils.
See where you're at after them.
The bilstein 5100's are good shock, maybe the springs will help.
I suppose PAC could help ya out figuring which rate is better.
I've never dealt with them on the phone.