Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Soften my ride, Rough Country WAY too stiff

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need to Soften my ride, Rough Country WAY too stiff

So I installed a 6.5 inch Rough Country lift on my 95 xj, now it rides so stiff its barley tolerable to drive, some people say if needs to be driven on to loosen up a bit but after 4 months now its exactly the same...Ive even hauled 1000 pounds in the rear and it barely gives any flex...every speed bump or little imperfections in the road feel like im hitting boulders. The quick disconnects that came with the kit are useless as ill never be able to get any flex out of the springs. Its just awful as a daily driver and I cant imagine if I did take it off road.
Any recommendations on a set of springs and coils that would be a good replacement ?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Originally Posted by kentsboots
So I installed a 6.5 inch Rough Country lift on my 95 xj, now it rides so stiff its barley tolerable to drive, some people say if needs to be driven on to loosen up a bit but after 4 months now its exactly the same...Ive even hauled 1000 pounds in the rear and it barely gives any flex...every speed bump or little imperfections in the road feel like im hitting boulders. The quick disconnects that came with the kit are useless as ill never be able to get any flex out of the springs. Its just awful as a daily driver and I cant imagine if I did take it off road.
Any recommendations on a set of springs and coils that would be a good replacement ?
Is it a long arm kit? Are you running lift blocks in the rear?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

show a pic of your shackles. if they're going straight down or are angled toward the front, that is your problem. people say RC springs are too short or too stiff, but if the shackles are setup properly, it won't be as bad.

these are extreme cases, but here is what i mean

should be angled like this : http://s55.photobucket.com/user/nick...8ce8b.jpg.html

not like this : http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/93701...2Bshackles.jpg
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 PM

short arm, and no its spring and shackle in the rear, no blocks.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:58 PM

this is what it looks like right now
Old 07-20-2016, 04:01 PM

looks like i need to relocate my shackle mounting hole more forward. I could just drill a new hole an inch or so infront of that one?
Old 07-20-2016, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

looks like i need to relocate my shackle mounting hole more forward. I could just drill a new hole an inch or so infront of that one?
NO.....not unless you drill it perfectly, and reinforce everything around the new hole.

relocation kit would be the best thing to do

And what in the world are you gonna tow with that monster hitch ??
Old 07-20-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You would also need a new a captive nut on the inside if you did that, I would recommend installing some HD offroad engineering Shackle relocation brackets, either no lift or lift version, something to consider with the no lift brackets is you will actually lose lift by correcting your shackle angle, for that reason and an easier install I would recommend the lift version, I have them and they work great.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 PM

short arm, and no its spring and shackle in the rear, no blocks.
Good advice has been given on the rear. You need those shackle relocation boxes.

In the front, if you're on 6.5 inches of lift and are on short arms, the best way to get some rude quality back would be getting some drop brackets for the chassis side lower control arm mounts. This will give better geometry to your front suspension, effectively transferring more shock from bumps to your shocks and springs instead of to the chassis. I'm hoping that your LCA's are adjustable, if not, the drop brackets will push your front axle too far forward.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
NO.....not unless you drill it perfectly, and reinforce everything around the new hole.

relocation kit would be the best thing to do

And what in the world are you gonna tow with that monster hitch ??

That hitch was just the biggest drop I could find at the store, I have a bike trailer that was too low and ended up at a high angle when hitched up.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:06 AM

Update
I was told somewhere elsee that that shocks are what's so stuff with the rough County lifts, not necessarily the coils and Springs. So I removed my front shocks, didn't have time to get to the back yet, and it actually has some decent movement now, I could rock the jeep back and forth with just pushing on the front fender,drove alot looser too, had some spring to the front end over bumps.
I'll remove the back and see how it is on the rear tomorrow. I'll also be ordering the HD relocation brackets first thing too.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Update
I was told somewhere elsee that that shocks are what's so stuff with the rough County lifts, not necessarily the coils and Springs. So I removed my front shocks, didn't have time to get to the back yet, and it actually has some decent movement now, I could rock the jeep back and forth with just pushing on the front fender,drove alot looser too, had some spring to the front end over bumps.
I'll remove the back and see how it is on the rear tomorrow. I'll also be ordering the HD relocation brackets first thing too.
I wouldn't recommend driving on roads without front shocks that could get dangerous
Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow
Default Need to Soften my ride, Rough Country WAY too stiff

Update
Trust me, their shocks (Hydros) that come with the kit are anything but stiff. In fact they wear out fast. I personally have the N2O Nitrogen shocks they make and they are a BIG improvement over the Hydros in ride and handling.
I use their products but can tell you, it's their springs that are stiffer.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:55 AM

After removingetting my shocks and test driving to work and back, it definitely had some spring to it, I could rock it by hand and noticed some bounce over bumps. But when i jacked one side the coils barely compress more than an inch or so.

I'm not convinced the coils aren't too stiff still, I compared them to my original coils and the new lifted measure 5/8 inch thick, and old coils measured 1/2 inch thick material.
Are all lifted coils going to be thicker like that or can I find something that's more like stock that are just taller...?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 AM

Coil diameter isn't a good indicator of spring rate. You should call rough country and find out the spring rate. Maybe ask them if the sell a spring in the same height with a softer rate.

If you know the spring rate, you can shop around for other coils that are softer. If no one makes a soft coil that high, you might have to get a shorter spring and get a spacer for it. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Need to Soften my ride, Rough Country WAY too stiff