Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on my death wobble problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need opinions on my death wobble problem

Just lifted my XJ 3 inches. I put on this kit (http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-630x.html) and this track bar (http://www.roughcountry.com/adjustab...-bar-7572.html). Before I lifted it I had death wobble problems. I fixed it by replacing the ends of the drag link, and tie rod, then getting an adjustment. After the lift I got an adjustment again and the wobble is back. When I drive at low to normal speeds there's a small rumble in the whole car and I get violent wobble if I hit a bump going 65 MPH.

Took it back to Big O where they found a lot of the bolts had loosened. They tightened them up, then did a rotation and balance on the tires. Still wobbles. The drag link, tie rod, and track bar all feel just fine. Solid as a rock. When I asked rough country for suggestions they told me I should have them set my caster to 4 degrees instead of the 8 they have it set to. Big O adamantly told me that would be a dumb thing to do and didn't do it. They ended by telling me "80-90% of death wobble comes from old tires" Which I didn't really believe. My tires are only about a year old. (They're 29" if he meant size was the issue)

So I just need some non biased ideas on what I can check next. Is the caster the problem? Do I need to drop my pitman arm? Are my tires just too small? Thanks for the help
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: h.o. 4.0l

You have done a few of these at top of the list just keep working down the list.

-make sure all bolts are tight
-check tie rod ends for play
-check track bars for play
-have alignment checked
-check bushings to make sure they're in good condition (control arms and upper mounts on axle)
-check balance of wheels and tires
-play with air pressure of tires
-check unit bearings
-check ball joints
-check for a bent wheel or out of round tire
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 l6

Originally Posted by 89limited_hero
You have done a few of these at top of the list just keep working down the list.

-make sure all bolts are tight
-check tie rod ends for play
-check track bars for play
-have alignment checked
-check bushings to make sure they're in good condition (control arms and upper mounts on axle)
-check balance of wheels and tires
-play with air pressure of tires
-check unit bearings
-check ball joints
-check for a bent wheel or out of round tire
--X2 on this... Especially Unit Bearings and Ball joints... A very common culprit is the ball joints and or the steering linkage..
Old 08-11-2017, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

If a shop installed this lift kit and the vehicle is death-wobbling it should be/is their responsibility to fix the problem. They risk being held liable if you get into an accident since they knowingly released an unsafe vehicle back to the customer unless you signed some kind of waiver releasing them from liability.

That being said, if a shop told me it would be "dumb" to adjust caster I'd want an explanation as to why they think that. It's common practice to pull some caster and toe the tires in a degree or 2 to combat death wobble. At minimum they should be making alignment adjustments if there are no other culprits.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 08-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.