Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on problems with wife's new lift, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need input on problems with wife's new lift, help!

Ok, so I got an OME 2.5" lift for my wife's 2001 XJ. I also got at the same time 4 steel ProComp 15x7" black wheels and 4 Goodyear Duratrac 235 75R15 tires as well. Her Jeep has never been off roaded and was in excellent shape, 135K. Cream puff. We bought and had it installed at 4wheel parts.

When she picked it up both the front and rear of the truck was off center from the axels. Much more noticeably in the front. Plus, between 40-50mph there was a noticeable shimmy/vibration in the ride and steering. We took it back and were told that the front end could not be centered over the axles because the kit did not include an adjustable track bar and so they just drilled a new hole for the factory one and did their best. By the way, they never mentioned needing one when we bought the lift initially. Anyway, after researching the issue it does seem that they might be right about the track bar and I'll probably need to buy an upgraded one to center up the front end. However, not until I get rid of the vibration.

So, they said they rebalanced the tires and said that the vibration was caused by worn out front end components. However, prior to the install of the kit there was NO vibration in the truck at all. We took it back a few times and each time they said they discovered a new slightly off balanced tire. Well, I rotated the front tires to the rear and the vibration in the steering subsided about 75% compared to previously. I returned and told them what I did and the result. They took off the tires and said they discovered an out of round tire on one wheel. After a week we returned to have them replace the supposedly offending tire and they said that they were mistaken and it was not the tire but the wheel that was out of round so replaced it instead. Well....guess what? The vibration is back and worse than ever. They keep saying that it needs basically all new front end parts to eliminate the vibration between 40-50. However, again, I rotated the front tires to the rear and the problem almost went away. However, it seems like the vibration is in the rear now and not in the steering wheel. I suspect that either the tires, the rims, or both are out of round somewhere in the system but not sure how to proceed. I'm thinking that taking the tires off and putting them on my old factory rims which are a known, round quantity might narrow it down to either the tires or rims being the problem.

My biggest frustration is that the guys at the 4Wheel parts store a nice guys (manager is a jerk) but I'm not convinced of their competence or that they actually replaced ANYTHING and can't afford to spend much more replacing the front end only to find that it doesn't fix a problem that exists in the tires or rims to begin with. Any wisdom or advice? At this point I may go to corporate and see where it leads. I've spent hours in their shop waiting for the truck, 6-7 trips back and forth, and $3500 so far and my wife is POed about the problem. It's her daily driver. She loves the look and we bought the OME lift for the ride quality which is great....EXCEPT this vibration which is probably not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and the chance to rant a little,
Cheers623

Last edited by Cheers623; 06-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Welcome to the forum! Id start by checking your ujoints in your rear driveshaft. They may be crap but not noticeable at stock height, but suddenly become an issue once you lift the jeep. You may also want to check what your driveline angle is, as it may be too aggressive for your ujoints to handle. I would also reccommend not going to that shop any more.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, forgot to mention I took it to a Les Schwab to see if they found any problems with the driveline or front end and they said it looks to be in good shape. The lift is only 2.5" and is one of the reasons we picked it to avoid having to replace upper and lower control arms, lower the t-case, etc. Plus, the tires are right around 29" so we are not throwing a lot of extra mass around and don't have to regear the speedo. Other ideas?
Cheers623
Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take them somewhere else and have them road force balance them.