Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help lifting XJ!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need help lifting XJ!

So, I am a completely unexperienced mechanic haha, I'm 18, just bought my first XJ and decided to lift it - i know all the dangers and issues and everything, i don't need any lectures... please.

anyway, I have finished installing the lift and have done everything EXCEPT the lower control arms. For some reason, the lca's dont seem to fit...? They seem like they're too long, which I know is not right haha. Anyway, I can bolt the front(lower) portion of the arm in, but not the bolt in the back connecting to the frame. I dont understand what I did wrong, or what I can do to make these arms fit.

It's really frustrating because after 3 days of working on the lift and everything, I've finished everything except these stupid lca's. If anyone can give me some advice on what to do, that would be awesome.

some specs;
98 Cherokee, 2WD, (i know, i know, 4wd conversion on its way) Zone Offroad 4.5" lift, 33" Tires.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Are the arms adjustable? Either way you may need to pull the axle forward. It will usually shift on you when you take the arms off.

So, try pulling it forward with a come along or some strong ratchet straps. I used ratchet straps wrapped around my axle, hooked to my front tow points. Just watch that you don't bend the uppers if they're stock.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Year: 1996

Are you UCA's torqued down? If they are loosen them and then do what Jds12 said. Make sure all they bolts are just hand tight until you get the weight of the vehicle on the tires. I made that mistake and it took a while of retightening bolts for weeks to come.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by afriberg
Are you UCA's torqued down? If they are loosen them and then do what Jds12 said. Make sure all they bolts are just hand tight until you get the weight of the vehicle on the tires. I made that mistake and it took a while of retightening bolts for weeks to come.
I'll up the ante a bit here. Do what he said ^^^^ and then jump up and down on the bumpers a few times or drive the thing around the yard a bit before you tighten up the control arm bolts and leaf spring & shackle bolts. Seriously. If you have already tightened some of these while the Jeep was in the air...then loosen them all again, drive it around & bounce it... and then re-torque them all with the Jeep sitting on the ground. I had to learn this the hard way.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:20 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Jds12
Are the arms adjustable? Either way you may need to pull the axle forward. It will usually shift on you when you take the arms off.

So, try pulling it forward with a come along or some strong ratchet straps. I used ratchet straps wrapped around my axle, hooked to my front tow points. Just watch that you don't bend the uppers if they're stock.
Originally Posted by afriberg
Okay guys, I got it. My friends dad came along with a bottle jack and we basically just jacked the axle farther away, using the frame.. It worked perfectly, and the LCA's fit like a charm! Now on to trimming fender flares!

Thanks everyone for all the help!
I will definitely make sure to tighten the bolts with the weight of the jeep on the ground, thank you for that, I totally didn't know I was supposed to do that....
Old 12-26-2015, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

If in doubt, pay a decent mechanic.....

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not uncommon to use a rachet strap or come-a-long to move your axle around for control arms and trackbars installations (with trackbars sometimes you can turn the wheel to help)