Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With 96 XJ - Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Help With 96 XJ - Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper

Hello All! I have to admit I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to custom jeep stuff.

I came across this Rugged Ridge bumper at a yardsale for $20 - http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T...FdgJgQodZgsAyw

So of course I buy it, $20 why not, its worth it for decent steel tubing to mess with worst come to worse.

Anyways, Problem is it is the Rear only, the front was not available. I want to use it as a front bumper and was wondering if a universal mounting bracket to chassis system was available or if I could even mount the stock rugged ridge stuff on the front of a jeep safely.

Bottom Line
The Bumper was originally for a CJ, I have an XJ. What mounts would I need?

Your help is appreciated

More Examples

- http://www.allthingsjeep.com/rugged-...-wrangler.html

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351272373181?lpid=82&chn=ps
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

You're gonna have to fab your own brackets to make it work. But I'm guessing if you had access to a welder to do this type of work, you wouldn't be asking these questions, LOL

For $20, just turn around and sell it for more money on CL. Take the money from that to put towards a bumper that was designed for your ride, or better yet, get a welder and start designing your own.

Sorry, but there's no cheap or easy solution to this that I know of other than custom made brackets...

EDIT:...why is it hotlinking the word w-elder? damned internet...

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 04-26-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback ronino. Figures that would be the only way, gonna make it happen then. wheres the fun in looking stock like 80% of the jeeps

Originally Posted by roninofako
You're gonna have to fab your own brackets to make it work.
Sorry, but there's no cheap or easy solution to this that I know of other than custom made brackets...
Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Definitely would need some custom mounts. I can actually tell you from experience that bumper is a weak SOB to begin with and I wouldn't put forth the effort. My grandfather had it on the rear of his wrangler and one good yank on my XJ while I was buried in a hole folded it like a taco and broke the mount on one side.

That being said, 20$ isn't a bad price. If you fabbed up the mounts and such it would be pretty easy and probably worth that. If you are going to have to pay someone to do it, sell it on CL/EBAY and get something worth the time