Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name! That! Lift!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech
Default Name! That! Lift!

And welcome to another exciting installment of Name That Lift!, the game show where our competitors could have spent anywhere between $30-$3000 to raise their XJ above the rest, and our contestants get to try to name the components used! Johnny, lets tell them what they'll be playing for this week!

On a more serious note...

When I purchased my XJ, (From a Dealership, so they didn't know squat about what had been done to it) it already had what I believe to be a 3.5" lift. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of experience when it comes to lifting vehicles, so any help identifying what parts/components have been used in my lift would be much appreciated.

I had a local Off-Road shop peek at it, and the only thing they really pointed out was the larger coils in the front. The individual wasn't overly familiar with Cherokees, and had thought possibly the rear leafs had been switched from an under-axle to over-axle setup, which I know is incorrect, but I'm lost on what was done to the rear end to raise it up. (It does sit slightly lower than the front though, which through input from this thread, I hope to remedy!)

What I know about it so far:

Larger Coils in the front (No idea on brand/size)
Rusty's Track Bar

And that's about it

Also, if there are any other pictures I can take; closer up, different angle, wider shot, let me know and I'll glady update with them.

Pictures below!

Passenger Front

Centered Front

Drivers Front

Drivers Rear

Drivers Rear, Different Angle

Passenger Rear

Passenger Rear, Different Angle
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: Richlands, NC/Charlotte, NC yeah I live in 2 places YUNVME?
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

looks like some old man emu shocks...the coils and leafs are nearly impossible to tell from a pic. they all look the exact same.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

the front could be a rusty's tracbar/coils. the rear looks like a bit of a bastard pack.

somehow your steering angles look like **** bet that thing has a bit of bumpsteer.

Last edited by cdawall; 08-21-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Could be from the angle of my pics (I hope?), the one thats somewhat centered on the front end I took with the camera tilted, was too bright outside to review the pics before I uploaded them.

It is entirely possible though. I know randomly driving down the road, it feels like I'm having to correct the wheel as the Jeep wants to wander off, left or right depending on its mood, and only seems to happen at in-town speeds, 30-35, haven't noticed any trouble in the limited highway driving i've done. (With the exception of the infamous death wobble, but I know the front axle, right u-joint is in need of replacement). Although this could also be due to me still somewhat adjusting to driving the Jeep. Went from a coupe that I drove for many years to the XJ back in May.

I've taken a few minutes to read up on what bumpsteer is, what are my options for correcting the problem?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Not real sure about the brand of coils. Can you try to clean them off and see what color they are? That might help a little. Also, looks like you need new sway bar links. They look too short and separated at the top rubber bushing. Not a big deal though.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM

I'll pressure spray the whole front suspension / steering linkage off tomorrow at work and throw a new pic or two up of it. I'm pretty positive the coils are black, they're still fairly clean at the top, but it doesnt show in the pics.

And good call on the swaybar linkage. The bushings at the top are completely shot. Is there a way to measure for how long of swaybar linkage I should be using? Or just measure mine and find the next available length.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

those sway bar links look stock. most aftermarket that I have seen have a bracket on top. and the sway link usually looks like a dogbone for fixed links, or you can go adjustable and get it where you want it to be.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 AM

Seems as if everything I've found so far to replace the factory sway bay links are for a quick disconnect setup, which I'll have no need for as I won't be doing any extreme wheeling in my XJ. None of the common places seem to sell just an extended sway bar link, (Quadratec only sells RubiconExpress fixed links for 84-96).

Only thing I managed to find was: http://www.xtremeterrain.com/swaybar...herokeexj.aspx

Is this about what I should be looking for with a 3.5" lift?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:18 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 l 6

looks to me as the rear is a bastard pack. front could be also but you never know untill you take a real close look
Old 08-22-2011, 01:33 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

can't tell on the coils. any spacers? the rear looks like a bastard pack. you can get extended sway bar links(non disconnect) at zone offroad.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

clean the coils off and look for a part number.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:42 AM

No spacers on the front that I can see. I'm pretty sure they're just 3-3.5" coils, but wanted opinions/feedback none the less as god only knows I could be wrong about all of this lol.

Finally found a pic of some stock XJ rear leafs, and just judging by the spacing of the leafs, it does appear that these are not stock, agreed that they're most like a bastard pack.

Would these be what I'm looking for as far as swaybar links from Zone offroad?
http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=67&gr=19
My only question would be those state as for being for 4.5" lift, not up to 4.5", would they still work properly with a 3.5" lift..?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by cdawall

somehow your steering angles look like **** bet that thing has a bit of bumpsteer.
take a closer look... they are mounted in stock positions... steering angles are FINE

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TSea99XJ
Seems as if everything I've found so far to replace the factory sway bay links are for a quick disconnect setup, which I'll have no need for as I won't be doing any extreme wheeling in my XJ. None of the common places seem to sell just an extended sway bar link, (Quadratec only sells RubiconExpress fixed links for 84-96).

Only thing I managed to find was: http://www.xtremeterrain.com/swaybar...herokeexj.aspx

Is this about what I should be looking for with a 3.5" lift?
I pieced my lift together to save some cash. Here is what I ordered.

RE 3.5 full leafs
RE 3.5 coils
RE adj. Track bar
RE TC drop
RE U Bolts

RC lower control arms
RC sway bar links (fixed not quick discos)
RC hydro 8000 shocks
RC brake line relocation kit

As far as prices, they were pretty good, got everything from RC and the RE dealer for about 775 shipped.

Call rough country and ask them a price on sway bar links. The price is really good. Mine will be here tomorrow and I will post pics of them if desired.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Whoops, what I ordered means nothing here, posting from my phone and I combined 2 threads into one... only info meant here was about the sway bar links....

Quick Reply: Name! That! Lift!